CNC plasma cutter build

Excellent project.

The cutter is starting and running OK without an active Z axis height control, yes?

There seems to be some error between when the cutter is moving away from the camera vs toward camera. I noticed what looks like (nearest the camera) a flat (cord) on the round hole and the two short segments of the square don't converge. Are those intended or mechanical backlash or software tuning? My question is, if those observances aren't intended, where do you expect to implement the fix?
It's a blowback start torch so as soon as I pull the trigger/activate the torch it fires, even if it's inches away from the stock.

I'm not sure what happened on that square as I re-ran the file and it cut just fine. I have a hunch something got hung up and caused it to skip a tooth on the x-axis gear rack.
@extropic I figured out the problem. The torch cable moved the sheet slightly as the X-axis moved toward the camera.
Starts at :07s in the video. You can see the edge of the sheet move about an 1/8"+.

Last edited:
Lol, I can imagine your reaction. Nice work on the table; it looks like fun.

Used my metal shear to cut strips for the water tray. Not perfect as I need to add a couple at the near end.
I was going to use the plasma cutter to cut them but the torch switch is wired to the black box.
I have some new connectors coming so I can also use it as a handheld torch.
bdd8ce85d13a90d40c83214aa02f659b.jpg

Just curious how the water tray works in use. I have a cheap inverter plasma cutter and recall cutting 1/8" steel using whatever current and air at 30-40 psi. Does the air tend to blow the water out of the tray? Seems like all nice tables have them, the design must be sound.

Bruce

Just curious how the water tray works in use. I have a cheap inverter plasma cutter and recall cutting 1/8" steel using whatever current and air at 30-40 psi. Does the air tend to blow the water out of the tray? Seems like all nice tables have them, the design must be sound.

Bruce

It serves a couple of purposes: the water absorbs the sparks that blow out the bottom of the cut and the water helps cool the metal.

Bruce

The water bubbles and cools the metal, traps the smoke and does not splash out except when cutting at the very edge of the tray. Evaporation is a bigger concern, I drain mine into a drum (with a lid) at the end of a day and use a small pump to refill in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have seen video's where the water level is raised under CNC control so that the metal to be cut is touching the water. even seeing wetness on top of the target metal. This does not seem to interfere with the cutting.

Another consideration is selecting a space for your small CNC plasma table is the tremendous mess it creates. Plasma dust goes everywhere and settles on everything, not to mention in your lungs. Sparks fly everywhere, and debris falls out the bottom. Water tables help reduce plasma dust, but create a mess of their own.

The solution that I have used over the years can be found here: https://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/cnc-plasma-cutting-when-you-have-no-space.85935/

Back