CNC plasma cutter build

More progress today.
Built the rails.
Lots of drilling, countersinking and tapping. Ten fasteners in each rail.
Lots of learning too.
On the bottom rail I miscalculated the width of the flat part of the v-rail and drilled the holes in the flat stock too far inboard which meant the holes were to close to edge of the v-rail. All ten of the holes... :(
And I thought I could accurately transfer the hole locations from the flat stock to the v-rails. Not so much...Doh!
So on the second rail I carefully measured the width of the v-rail in decimal inches, divided that figure in half and then scribed marks for the hole locations. I also clampeed the flat stock and v-rail together to drill the holes.
1616792244176.png
1616792262552.png

Last edited:
More progress.
Ends mounted and laying out the gear rack.
44c1babf44d17d87c6479e1fb93dfc4d.jpg

c98c8ac0cc84de65d7bac806faeef303.jpg

Stepper motor mounted.
ac5e53930a57662909efba506bd04593.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have read the beginning of the thread before asking questions.
Interesting build.

Ray

@rdean it's direct drive to the 24 pitch rack via a 15 tooth pinion gear.
The steppers are 175oz/in motors.

Nice project David. Can you imagine taking this on 3 - 5 years ago! Amazing what a little experience does to build the confidence!

Bruce

Nice project David. Can you imagine taking this on 3 - 5 years ago! Amazing what a little experience does to build the confidence!

Bruce

Thanks Bruce, I really appreciate that.
As I was working away I was thinking about how I used to see these neat jigs and shop made tools in wood shops and how much I wanted to be to have the skills and tools to make them.
And so here I am :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More progress today. Though I'm not sure that will be apparent from the photos.
Last update I was laying out the gear rack.
Today I drilled and tapped it, counter sunk the holes for the flat head mounting screws.
IMG_7301.jpeg
I had been fretting over how to maintain the .269" spacing from the V-rail. I measured the height of the gear rack at .25" so I decided to use the cut off pieces as spacers. The stepper motor mounts have provisions to adjust the gear mesh so the .019" difference will be made up that way.
The rack is pretty narrow on its face and I was drill and tapping for 6-32 screws. I could only place holes under the gear peaks other wise there wasn't enough material. Needless to say I had my magnifiers on for this :cool:
IMG_7303.jpeg
This is the back of the Y-axis. The top and bottom screws are securing the v-rail. the single screw is for the gear rack.
IMG_7305.jpeg
The bill of materials spec'ed pinion gears without set screws so I had to drill and tap the pinion gears for 10-24 set screws. These gears were $16. With set screws they are a whopping $42. Each. o_O
IMG_7308.jpeg
Did a trial fit to make sure everything was copacetic.
IMG_7304.jpeg
Definitely a snug fit in there. This is looking down at the Y-axis pinion.
IMG_7309.jpeg

Last edited:
@DavidR8

It looks like the Y axis rack teeth are facing UP. That is undesirable because any debris will stay there and will interfere with the gear mesh.
Gear wear and possible jamming . . . bad.

I recommend that you go through what ever trouble it is to re-orient the rack so the teeth are down. Let Gravity work for you, not against you.

Back