CNC plasma cutter build

Thank you sir, it's been an interesting project. I still need to line up the magic pixies in the right order so with any luck that goes without any magic smoke :laughing:

David will please excuse my off topic question in his thread.

@f350ca , Regarding the use of the shaper to make your racks; can you describe the sequence of operations to create each tooth form?
Did you finish a single tooth form/root (feed table up?) then traverse the pitch dim to create the next tooth form/root?
Or, did you set the traverse auto feed to equal the pitch dim so you could work many teeth before re-indexing the stock on the table?
Or, what ???
Love your work. :clapping:

Bit more progress today.
Made the bracket that mounts the torch holder bracket.
Made a start on the actual ring to hold the torch.
Had an aluminum piece with a hole almost the same dimension as the torch head. Bored it out on the lathe and parted it off at the right length.
Now I just need to figure out how to attach it to the bracket.
63bfce4ce5a2fbc5680866b04c09eeb7.jpg

f5c50db6564c8e483cec869d61e27842.jpg

4c5aad72485dd0a4658e7da2c7cfd935.jpg

I’m thinking that I’ll TIG on a rectangular piece to one side of the ring, drill and tap so it can be attached to the bracket.

David will please excuse my off topic question in his thread.

@f350ca , Regarding the use of the shaper to make your racks; can you describe the sequence of operations to create each tooth form?
Did you finish a single tooth form/root (feed table up?) then traverse the pitch dim to create the next tooth form/root?
Or, did you set the traverse auto feed to equal the pitch dim so you could work many teeth before re-indexing the stock on the table?
Or, what ???
Love your work. :clapping:
Sorry David for cutting into your project and sorry I never noticed the question till now.
Used 14 1/2 degree pressure angle so a ground acme cutter forms a rack tooth. Cut each tooth to depth with the down feed then advanced over to the next. Added the dro for this project, would have been impossible without. Had pre drilled and reamed the mounting holes using the mill and dro so I could index the material over and start another set of teeth. Did the 3 racks as a set clamped together, when finished I could turn one end for end and they meshed down the length. Think that was more luck than anything. lol

Greg

Dave, looking good.

I would make the rectangular Al piece the same width as the bracket that you will be attaching it to and at least 1/2" taller than the ring. That would give you sufficient room for two holes to bolt it to the bracket. Also I would add a threaded hole into the ring to put a threaded knob as a locking bolt in to ensure the torch is held firmly.

Here are some examples:

Wish I knew more about all the electronics stuff, I'd love to have a cnc plasma around the house.

Very nice job!!

Dave, looking good.

I would make the rectangular Al piece the same width as the bracket that you will be attaching it to and at least 1/2" taller than the ring. That would give you sufficient room for two holes to bolt it to the bracket. Also I would add a threaded hole into the ring to put a threaded knob as a locking bolt in to ensure the torch is held firmly.

Here are some examples:

Thank you, thats a brilliant idea!

I've often discovered that the best way to learn something new is to "need it for a project." That really focuses your attention. The down side is that sometimes you only learn one aspect of the "something." But at least you get a working knowledge.

Today’s progress. An iteration or two (eyeroll here) got me to this torch mount.
158495284bbde6ca05e9bbcf88523d83.jpg

04dd9bc121de7e16698f54160154eb4e.jpg

See the hole peeking out from behind the torch? That’s a 1/4-20 hole that I made to mount an aluminum plate which had the round holder attached.
Turned out the screw heads interfered with the torch body so that version was scrapped.
Second iteration ended up by drilling the steel plate and directly attaching the collar.

I have been thinking ahead to how I’m actually going to hold the thing down and made a happy discovery.
The X-axis is exactly 24” wide, the same as my welding table.
So it fits perfectly across the width.
I think I’ll swap out end plates for a couple of pieces of square tube. I’ll cut out one side and mount the with the open side facing out so I can clamp it down.
2a1518cdb2ea439a83e00b5e090793f0.jpg

Back