CNC plasma cutter build

Couldn't you have removed the torch to install the countersunk machine screw?

If only I had some of those in my stock.
My only 1/4-20 fasteners are the round head ones in the third photo.
I have no idea what I did with the correct screws.
:(
Edit: I do have some 1/4-20 screws but the heads are massive so the countersink would have to be very deep. I actually don't know where they came from.
I'm not convinced that the torch holder is the final version but it's got me thinking about how to do it better.

Last edited:
Couldn't you just move the mounting screws farther out to the sides. If the mounting plate was the full width of the bracket you are attaching to and was a little taller, maybe 1/2" taller than the ring, you should be able to fit those screw heads in to either side of the torch.

Something like this.

1618233127705.png

That would also work.
Thanks for the suggestion sir! :)

A bit of work last night to make a better torch holder.
2x2 block, bored to 1” in the 4-jaw. I plan to cut it vertically, parallel to plate so it can clamp the torch head.
Also need to mark and drill to attach it to the vertical plate and mill recesses for 10-24 SHCS to hold the two halves together.
I might also break out the rotary table and radius the front
Ignore those two holes. They are from a prior attempt to make a mount.
2b362fa13e1e1e81471e79e525a2e4c5.jpg

If you are using a torch with a handle as apposed to a machine type config, you may find your new design to be better suited to support the weight of the torch and the cord.

^^^ There you go !!! ^^^

My recommendation: Don't radius it. Think of it as a spatter shield.

Thanks gents, it definitely feels more substantial and fit to task!

Ignore those two holes. They are from a prior attempt to make a mount.
Looks like a job for your TIG welder if they bug you. I forget about "gluing" patches in mistakes all the time. Gouged a part on my Bridgeport cutting a slot with an 1/8" end mill, didn't lock the quill when making a pass. Fired up the AHP AlphaTIG and made the hole go away.

Bruce

Looks like a job for your TIG welder if they bug you. I forget about "gluing" patches in mistakes all the time. Gouged a part on my Bridgeport cutting a slot with an 1/8" end mill, didn't lock the quill when making a pass. Fired up the AHP AlphaTIG and made the hole go away.

Bruce

Yup, I think I’ll do exactly that. Because they do bug me.

Back