CNC Plasma Cutting When You Have No Space

@Tmate I've poured over the posts and the pdf; can you confirm that the 8020 used for the entire build is 2"x2"?

The 8020 extrusions are Part #2020 which has a 2" x 2" cross section.

For years, 8020 would not sell directly to the consumer, but rather through a network of fluid/hydraulics distributors. When Torchmate was using their extrusions, we had to go through a distributor in North Carolina, even when we were buying more of their stuff than most of their distributors. A number of years later, they started selling on eBay. Now, they appear to be selling direct via their web site. There are still a number of other sources on eBay selling either 8020 or look alike products.

Thanks @Tmate, I happen to have a distributor fairly close to me so shipping should be reasonable.

@Tmate I'm gradually finding all the bits and pieces for the build.
The one thing I haven't been able to sort out is the shaft assembly in this photo.
Do you have a source?
Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 9.50.54 AM.png

This is a piece of 5/16" drill rod 4" long with a 15 tooth 20 pitch set screw type spur gear mounted on its end. McMaster-Carr, MSC, Grainger, etc., all carry it probably in 3' lengths.

Attachments

• spur gear on drill rod.jpg
    spur gear on drill rod.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 21
This is exactly what I need. Thank you so much for sharing such detail!

I am very tight for space as well and was thinking of doing a 2x4 table with guides or supports so I can still feed a 4x8 sheet into it without prior trimming.
I just wasn't sure if it was worth the investment for such a small capability. Good to know that height control may not be as necessary as everyone says it is.

I also like that you used a basin rather than a water table. I like the idea of folding or collapsing legs and the ability to stand it on end for storage so a water table makes that much more difficult.

The reason for a water table is to reduce smoke and plasma dust. If you use your machine outside, as I do, there is no need. I used a basin just to catch the slag and falling debris.

I'm not sure how my neighbors would react to me doing plasma cutting in my driveway so I have to plan on it being in my garage.
There's a good chance it's just not feasible at this location and the dream of CNC plasma will need to wait until I get a proper shop again.

I'm not sure how my neighbors would react to me doing plasma cutting in my driveway so I have to plan on it being in my garage.
There's a good chance it's just not feasible at this location and the dream of CNC plasma will need to wait until I get a proper shop again.

I used to do my cutting in my garage in another house. I put the table just inside the garage door with a big fan blowing as much as possible out the door. My garage sat to the rear of my house, but was still clearly visible from the street. Neighbors saw some flashes of light, but no one ever complained.

Attachments

• firstshop_2.jpg
    firstshop_2.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 18
Back