CNC Plasma Cutting When You Have No Space

Sorry - back on topic, 24" (i.e. 600-610) cut area will be just fine. I am therefore roughly planning on X axis rails of about 1000mm (39.4") and a Y axis rail of about 750-800mm (29.5" to 31.5"). So if you know what your wheel spacing was (roughly) that would be rather useful. 10", 12" or something else?

Hopefully these photos will be of help. Note that the pictured machine used 3" x 3" extrusions and a 35mm linear rail. While both of these were overkill, the assembly was a bit stiffer than my later 2x2. Also, the motor and X axis gear rack were mounted on the inside of the short extrusion, slightly reducing the need for a wider bearing spacing.

Attachments

• 1st 2x2b.jpg
    1st 2x2b.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 31
  • early 2x2 dimensions.jpg
    early 2x2 dimensions.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 27
Super helpful. Saturday morning and I’ll be spending it at the whiteboard and ferreting through the steel pile working out what I have and what is best to use.
:):aok:

Super helpful. Saturday morning and I’ll be spending it at the whiteboard and ferreting through the steel pile working out what I have and what is best to use.

We have friends who live in Christchurch. Spent several days in NZ a couple of years ago. Very beautiful country.

My extended family is all from that area. I original came from a town south of ChCh and spent a lot of time in the city growing up and on family farms in the area. Will always be a Cantabarian.

Back