CNC Software and Interface Questions

Again Mach is an open loop system and depends upon the accuracy of the screws and drive system. Coordinated motion is required when cutting arcs or circles. For example every 90 degrees on a circular cut one of the X,Y motors must stop and change direction. A tight mechanical system with little or no backlash is best whether open loop or closed loop. Pico Systems has a closed loop stepper board that runs under Linux CNC that is well thought out.

Hmm... I am surprised this seems to be a dead forum page. I would have thought the old covid work from home thing would have spawned a lot of activity here. Or did it just move to another forum??

I was just wondering what I can salvage from an old Canon large format 24" printer that I'm about to salvage parts from. Not sure yet what size stepper motors are in it, how many, and if I can repurpose the existing stepper driver boards using arduino or raspberry pi. I already have 3 arduinos, though 3 slightly different models. Thinking maybe experimenting on an old Emco DB-200 mini lathe first. Although I would love to automate an old Clausing 11" at work, but that one I can't make any permanent modifications to since it isn't mine.

Back