CNC Vise - My Version

TomS

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
After seeing the Saunders Machine Works Modular Vise I decided I could make my own, with a few changes. After all, isn't copying someone else's idea the ultimate compliment as long as it isn't used for commercial gain?

I used the same Carr-Lane and Mitee Bite jaws as the SMW vise but altered most of the dimensions to suit my needs.
IMG_0422.JPG

The mounting bolt and dowel pin pattern matches my fixture plate.
IMG_0428.JPG

IMG_0426.JPG

That's my next project, but I really want the sliding feature of the SMW version.

That's my next project, but I really want the sliding feature of the SMW version.

I changed the mounting feature to fit my fixture plate. Did you know the SMW vise is modeled and saved in Fusion 360? You can access the model, make any changes you want, then create your CAM.

I changed the mounting feature to fit my fixture plate. Did you know the SMW vise is modeled and saved in Fusion 360? You can access the model, make any changes you want, then create your CAM.

Oh yes indeed. My 4th axis trunnion table may have been modeled with the same hole/thread/spacing as the SMW Tormach fixture plate.;)

Where did you find the fixture idea?

I follow the NYCCNC videos and saw it there. Thought it was a good way to hold raw stock for first operation machining. I could have bought it from Saunders Machine Works but what fun is that. I studied the pictures and created my own model. After spending several hours creating my model I discovered that SMW posted it to Fusion 360. Surprisingly my model was very close to the Saunders Machine Works model.

Is it easy to make the holders for the fixtures or is it better buying them? Also your opinion on if these fixtures are worth making for manual mills? Im still starting out and making up a project list.

If they fit your T-slots, then maybe they're worth making. Getting them indicated/perpendicular/square will be fussy. I'm using a dowel-pin fixture plate that automatically aligns them.

How hard are they to make? if you make them flat like TomS, no sweat. If you make them like the SMW version with the taper then it'll be fussy making the angled top and clamp plate.

Unless you have a 4th axis trunnion table, then can cheat and tilt the table and go to town...;)

Oh i can make a fixture plate for it to stay stationary on and indicate the plate if i do it. I dont have any accessories except the vice on my mill. I plan on making my own idexer using gears from my lathe at some point. I dont have anything set up as i am house hunting currently.

Is it easy to make the holders for the fixtures or is it better buying them? Also your opinion on if these fixtures are worth making for manual mills? Im still starting out and making up a project list.

I would make them before buying. That's why I have mills, lathes and drill presses and tooling to go with them.

Back