CNC Vise - My Version

So which of the clamps are better? The mitee bites or the other style clamps?

Check out both manufacturer's web sites. The mitee-bite Pitbull clamps are taller, but have more gripping power. The Carr-lane are lower and are reversible (serrated & smooth) but have less holding power.

Make a set for each type and you'd be in business.

If they put "CNC" in the part number, then they can raise the price by 50%. ;)
I approve of this.

I have often pondered what segment of the population is the most effected by keywords.
Young motorcycle fanatics are easily swayed, adding a few buzzwords goes a long way such as CNC machined, machined from "billet aircraft aluminum", carbon fibre is an excellent keyword, nanotechnology may be the next big one. Remember Boeing makes every single part from Aircraft Grade Aluminum, including the handles on the toilets

We make motorcycle seats from the smallest carbon atoms available.

Now adult golfers appear to have a good deal of disposable income and seem prone to hyperbole, Dynamically Balanced, Titanium, once again CNC Machined, Carbon Fibre, , Computer Designed, Counter Balanced, Laser Etched, Laser Cut and so on.

My plan is to produce a driver that is exactly what golfers want.
It begins with tree parts that have been buried under peat in the Scottish Mores for centuries, the blanks are extracted, turned on CNC lathes then composited with Carbon Nanofibres in a hearth that is controlled by a PID micro processor and a bitter old woman from Red Point. Afterwards the club head is added to the shaft.

This is the difficult part, it must be investment cast from 3 metals that the average consumer is not familiar with such as Tantalum, Bismuth and alloys such as Iron Oxide, the Iron Oxide provides a barrier to corrosion induced by the oxygen in the air.

This should work a charm, I have already given it a name, BisTaintium

I have often pondered what segment of the population is the most effected by keywords.
Too true. There is a large portion of our population that is enamored with technical hype, and so they pay through the nose for their toys...

Tactical.
Nano-(insert anything here).
Surface treatment XXX
Hyper-(insert anything here)
Carbotainium.
Polyeverythene.
S-NorTaintium.

It saddens my heart when folks I know, who are otherwise rather intelligent, buy (and talk about) the stuff they lust after due to marketing jargon. The marketing brochures I get at work (petrochem) are just as bad.

Any hobby, interest, or profession which requires fairly specialized gear/equipment of some sort is probably fodder for this.

If you're looking to make/sell a product where it's likely that marketing tech-hype will improve sales due to emotional buy-in, look for a market segment with the following variables:

Emotional investment in activity (golf)
High-income participants (golf)
Large target market (golf)
Low-information participants (golf) ;)

I think I need to start CNC machining aircraft-grade aluminum, carbon-fibre (note swank spelling) wrapped, nano-dipped golf tees.

Reactions: rwm
I'm saddened to see that this has moved to a "bash-the-poster" forum. I posted because I thought it would be interesting for others to see or learn from what I had done. It being my post I can call it whatever I want. I chose to call it a CNC vise because the original concept was created by a company focused on CNC machining and building tooling for that purpose. I tweaked the design specifically to use the vise on my CNC mill for CNC machining. Hence the title, CNC Vise - My Version. Some may think these last few posts are humorous, I don't.

No one bashed the poster only people whom are easily swayed by techno babel and marketing hype.

You don't perchance play golf do you?

Back