CNC Vise - My Version

I'm not familiar with 4th axis code but couldn't you use your trunnion table to do steps 2 and 3?
Yes, absolutely. But my trunnion isnt as rigid as a vise on the table, and I was brain-storming ways for anyone else to duplicate the original sliding version.

Yes, absolutely. But my trunnion isnt as rigid as a vise on the table, and I was brain-storming ways for anyone else to duplicate the original sliding version.

Got it. When I machined mine I bought 1-1/2" thick stock. This gave me 3/8" of an inch, or thereabouts, to hold it in my vise. Setup 1 was to machine all of the top side details and the perimeter. Setup 2 was machine the bottom side to achieve 1-1/8" thickness. Setup 3 was as you described: clamp part to angle plate and drill/tap the parallel mounting holes. You could certainly do it as you have laid out. I see no down side to doing it either way.

Tom - As I threatened, I finally got around to making my own using the Pitbull version. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Ralph

Details for the interested:

1.25"x4" stock
Adjustable side: Machined bottom first down to the lowest part of the taper. Flipped and did all the top features. 3rd OP drilled/tapped parallel mount holes. Tapered surface was machined using a 3/8" 0.060" bullnose in two passes. Last pass was 0.005" axial and 0.025" stepover. Very nice surface.

Machining time about 35 minutes - most stock was removed using a 3/8" 5 flute carbide fine toothed rougher (that's the reason for the 'glitter' in the photo).

Fixed side: Machined everything from the top and flipped and removed the mushroom off the bottom. Figured it was critical to get the dowel pin holes reamed in the same setup as the registration edges the clamps bear against.

Clamp bars: 1/2"x1"x4" stock. Profile and taper bottom first with the same taper settings as on the adjustable half. Flipped and cleaned off the top hat.

Also made some non-marring flat face bars in steel and brass. The Talon-Grips are great, but dig in like mad.

20181125_204304.jpg20181118_233151.jpg20181119_203751.jpg20181125_204310.jpg20181125_204330.jpg

Tom - As I threatened, I finally got around to making my own using the Pitbull version. Thanks for the inspiration.

-Ralph

Details for the interested:

1.25"x4" stock
Adjustable side: Machined bottom first down to the lowest part of the taper. Flipped and did all the top features. 3rd OP drilled/tapped parallel mount holes. Tapered surface was machined using a 3/8" 0.060" bullnose in two passes. Last pass was 0.005" axial and 0.025" stepover. Very nice surface.

Machining time about 35 minutes - most stock was removed using a 3/8" 5 flute carbide fine toothed rougher (that's the reason for the 'glitter' in the photo).

Fixed side: Machined everything from the top and flipped and removed the mushroom off the bottom. Figured it was critical to get the dowel pin holes reamed in the same setup as the registration edges the clamps bear against.

Clamp bars: 1/2"x1"x4" stock. Profile and taper bottom first with the same taper settings as on the adjustable half. Flipped and cleaned off the top hat.

Also made some non-marring flat face bars in steel and brass. The Talon-Grips are great, but dig in like mad.

View attachment 280779View attachment 280780View attachment 280781View attachment 280782View attachment 280783

Very nice! I like the concept of the center jaw. Just might steal that idea.

Thanks for sharing.

Very nice! I like the concept of the center jaw. Just might steal that idea.

SMW appears to have recently changed their design a bit from the original offering. I had always planned to make a double-sided fixed jaw, but when I went to their site to order a bunch of pitbulls and talons I saw they had changed the design to almost the same thing I had in my head. Their new design is much more elegant and is likely cheaper/faster than the original to maufacture. Those guys are on the ball.

BTW, Saunders has the best prices on Talons, Pitbulls, and Tiny-vise clamps around - I didn't buy the hardware from them solely out of guilt ;)

For anyone interested in making their own the only major hurdle I've encountered has been the stupid paralells. It appears you can't just buy one pair of 4" parallels. I spent more time scouring the internet for a pair of parallels - didn't want to buy a whole $70 set just to get one 1" pair - than I did doing the CAM for all the components. No luck.

So I punted and bought enough .125"x1" ground A2 flat stock to make 3 pairs. Also bought some .250x1" to make some thicker ones. If anyone has a source of single pairs of parallels post it up here for others.

Do they work? Yes. They're awesome. If you want some but don't have the time to make them I'd recommend buying a set from SMW.

-Ralph

SMW appears to have recently changed their design a bit from the original offering. I had always planned to make a double-sided fixed jaw, but when I went to their site to order a bunch of pitbulls and talons I saw they had changed the design to almost the same thing I had in my head. Their new design is much more elegant and is likely cheaper/faster than the original to maufacture. Those guys are on the ball.

BTW, Saunders has the best prices on Talons, Pitbulls, and Tiny-vise clamps around - I didn't buy the hardware from them solely out of guilt ;)

For anyone interested in making their own the only major hurdle I've encountered has been the stupid paralells. It appears you can't just buy one pair of 4" parallels. I spent more time scouring the internet for a pair of parallels - didn't want to buy a whole $70 set just to get one 1" pair - than I did doing the CAM for all the components. No luck.

So I punted and bought enough .125"x1" ground A2 flat stock to make 3 pairs. Also bought some .250x1" to make some thicker ones. If anyone has a source of single pairs of parallels post it up here for others.

Do they work? Yes. They're awesome. If you want some but don't have the time to make them I'd recommend buying a set from SMW.

-Ralph

I bought the Talon Grips and Tiny Vise clamps from SMW as well. Their price was good but more importantly they were the only source I could find that had them in stock.

I looked for 4" parallels as well and didn't have any luck finding any. I went with 1/8" x 1" cold rolled steel as I had some on hand. So far they work fine.

Nice. Maybe I missed it, but what was the selected material choice (way back in post-1)

Nice. Maybe I missed it, but what was the selected material choice (way back in post-1)

Material is 6061 T6 aluminum for the jaw bodies. Steel is also an option.

I realize this is an old thread, but beautiful work!
In my poor decision making, knee jerk reaction, I bought a Kurt DX6. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice and incredible hold. Being I since purchased a Small CNC mill, the 4 inch Tormach works well, but I'd like to have much lover profile and attach to the fixture plate. The problem now is my fixture plate is 3/8" x20 tpi, most modular vises are 1/2" x 13 tpi. I'd love to make my own, but honestly am not clear how they even work. Does anyone know where to find these Fusion 360 SMW vice files that were discussed? I searched...nada. I'd pop for the Sauders, but the hardware is not compatible with my tooling plate.

I realize this is an old thread, but beautiful work!
In my poor decision making, knee jerk reaction, I bought a Kurt DX6. Don't get me wrong, it's very nice and incredible hold. Being I since purchased a Small CNC mill, the 4 inch Tormach works well, but I'd like to have much lover profile and attach to the fixture plate. The problem now is my fixture plate is 3/8" x20 tpi, most modular vises are 1/2" x 13 tpi. I'd love to make my own, but honestly am not clear how they even work. Does anyone know where to find these Fusion 360 SMW vice files that were discussed? I searched...nada. I'd pop for the Sauders, but the hardware is not compatible with my tooling plate.

The file is still there. Open up F360 and expand the data panel. Scroll down to Cam Samples then select Workholding and finally click on Saunders Machine Works. It's the last file on the list.

Back