Coaxial Centering Indicator-are they to be had?

I agree with the buy cheap, upgrade later theory.

I am the total opposite but to some extent. Starting out & with many items to buy I would probably buy some cheap. I've learned that depending on what it is, buying cheap just ends up leaving me having to spend more on something good & tossing out the cheap. So to avoid that I rather buy used/new quality over new cheap depending on what it is.

I got rid of all my cheap measuring tools, good thing I didn't have a whole lot. Most my measuring tools are used Mitu that I got for great deals. All my dial & test indicators are Mitu that I got for new China prices & some were practically brand new. But for those of you who don't/won't do ebay, sorry, I come across great scores very often.

I have a Blake co-ax, can't tell if it's ever been used. Again one of those great deals & avoiding buying cheap. I agree with some of the others, in general to most people it's not a necessity but IMO it's much more useful than using a DTI as an alternative.

Those Indicols, never used one before & I heard they were great so I bought a new one on sale from Enco. For some reason I never could get it to be consistent no matter how tight I tightened the thumb nuts. It had cosmetic damage from shipping & thought it might be defective so I had it exchanged. The replacement didn't lock up tight either. Not sure if I was just unlucky or if the new red & blue ones just aren't the same. It just wasn't for me so I sold it. Got a Noga NF1018 instead, the lock up is much more solid, & it's positioning is much more versatile. Better yet, no more sore fingers & having to use the dovetail stems. Only downside is it mounts in the spindle instead of around the spindle but that doesn't matter to me.

Last edited:
Back