Colchester 1965 Roundhead Lathe Restoration Project

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Well guys with the help of the membership I have built up enough courage to start on my lathe breaking it down into sections.Doing so will be looking for broken parts,gears who's teeth has not seen the dentist in yrs,do a cleaning then prepping for primer.It being Labor Day weekend I figure why not start now,so here it starts.
Remove the tailstock first as a confidence builder,took it completely apart then into the sandblasting cabinet to remove the layers of paint.That went pretty well but getting a closer look at the chrome hand wheel and levers I have to say they are not in the best shape.I sure would like to have these re-chrome but I don't know of any and I have readed that its very expensive.Anyone knows of a place that does this to where a person is not paying a small fortune for a few small pieces?Then next remove my taper attachment,dang already found a broken part.The jib,looks like someone tried to use a screwdriver on it so a 1"piece is gone.Na I guess not earth shaking but I sure would like to find a jib and just go ahead and replace it even though I will probably never use it.Into the parts washer to remove the chips and oil dang it is sticky.Posting pics is a pain using a laptop but I want to cause for me pics help out so much in explaining what I really can't put into words.Guys so far its going good so for today that's it just going to get what I've done so far ready for paint.Any suggestions or thought's please share----kroll

DSC02661.JPG DSC02660.JPG

You know, someone with a lathe, could probably polish up those hand wheels. ;^) Chroming has gotten soo expensive due to the whole hazardous waste thing. You might be able to find someone that has a large chroming order and tag along with his parts. Bumper shops are almost non existent. Have you noticed that you don't find real chrome on cars these days? Its all plastic! Maybe find a restoration shop and see if you can squeeze your order in, otherwise just buff polish the outer ring, and paint the innards.
These are just the musings of an old man, who knows what the past was like, and how much nicer it was in the days of yore. I love the idea of watching you try to take pictures of parts with the selfie camera on your laptop! Best of luck on the restoration and above all enjoy doing it. Keep us informed.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

DSC02677.JPG DSC02676.JPG Thanks Chuck,na no selfie camera here just my 10yr old digital.Anyway to my problem and its early in the game,I started on the QCGB by draining the oil.First thing I notice there are two drain plugs which I remove both,just alittle oil out of the first plug then a lot on the side with the site glass.Guessing that on the right side how do you tell the oil level which I notice in my manual that there is a small plug for oil and on the left side there is a big plug.Well I got most of the gears out but for the life of me I can't figure out how to remove tumbler shifter arm so that I can clean up and remove the rest of the gears.Any ideals on this,I have made more progress than what I though today has been a good day.So maybe tomorrow I will have enough parts seat out to do a little painting:)
Here's couple pics of my mess and the arm that I need to remove,thanks for the help---kroll
Sorry,pics did not go as plan

The arm is connected to the shaft with a spline. Once the arms is off the shaft can move to the inside to be removed. The inside shaft has to come out with its bushes. Remove the lock screws for the bushes and remove the shaft with bushes to the left.

Update:( Well I should have waited,the arm had lots of crud on it and I never seen the spline.I drove a wedge in the split of the arm where the bolt was and I tap on it to hard.I now have three pieces,I just don't think the best welder can repair this due to where it has broken.My plan was to get the lathe down to where I was in a position to clean the bed by labor day but for now just going to clean up the area.Depression has set in for now,raining on my parade all the other sayings

No need to feel too down. You have learned a great deal of what not to do. That is very good information.

Now it's time to solve the problem, that's the fun part. Good luck!

Yes sir,I would like the manual and thank you for offering.
Well I'm a little over it,went back out and finish removing the gears and remove the apron.Lifted the spindle head off and found an abandon rats nest.But still shaking my head,what a dip I am.

Here's what it looks like,but a member is looking at the pics to see if it can be repaired.Fingers cross

DSC02696.JPG

We've all made those Dooh! mistakes. Some a lot bigger than yours, don't kick yourself. Life is a learning experience. Just go out and get a Bridgeport milling machine and whittle you out a new one! ;^) but seriously, this looks repairable, perhaps not within your original timeline, but how many times do timelines actually end up working. I'm probably at about 15% or so, the rest take a LOT longer than planned, just ask my wife about the upstairs bathroom. Relax, no life threatening problem, and best of luck.

Chuck the grumpy old guy

Back