Colchester 1965 Roundhead Lathe Restoration Project

Here's what it looks like,but a member is looking at the pics to see if it can be repaired.Fingers cross
firstly try and locate a new/ second hand part also it's a Colchester, it's not a high load item and it's British made, The chances are it will braze well. That would be my second option next would be make a new one getting around the splines would be the difficult part perhaps a keyway and a clamp arrangement
Try Simon at Nobilla Machine Tools ltd www.nobilla.co.uk They are expensive they quoted me 175 pounds for a half nut + shipping if gold was any good as a machine part it would be cheeper to cast it in that so brazeing is a good option failing that epoxy it together and getting it cast

Last edited:
Dang,I was wanting to replace the 1/2nuts there is a little play.Thats 195.00us dollars???

Hello Kroll,

A friend of mine has some parts for the same lathe. He is loathe to let any of the parts go, in case his lathe needs something, but the part that you broke might be something that he has and would "part" with... pun intended... :)

I'll contact him and let you know.

Brian :)

Last edited:
One question - I don't see any splines in the broken part. Only what as best I can tell what looks like a drilled and tapped half-hole.

Sorry my mistake can't see any splines in the photo either a senior moment that will make it easier to reproduce

I'm off today,so I done alittle more spraying parts with primer.So I am making some progress,the weather man told me that this weekend was going to be cooler so when that happens I will roll out the lathe bed to do some degreasing.Maybe on Sunday spray it with some primer,well I guy can dream.

DSC02700.JPG

Happy Saturday morning guys,well the humidity has drop some so it just feels like is cooler outside so I though I would start the day by degreasing the bed.I like using this degreaser made by Zep,it works fantastic and will remove most of the paint.Most of the time I mix it half/half but for this bed I use it full strength.There is a before/after pic of the first go round degreasing.Guys on the end of the bed I did not know there was a badge there and for some reason someone punch a hole in it.(can this be purchase from clausing) As heavy as this bed is going to use the hoist to flip it over to also do the bottom side.Any suggestions or comments??????Thanks for looking

DSC02706.JPG DSC02704.JPG DSC02707.JPG DSC02705.JPG

Afternoon somebody,its noon time here and still have aways to go.What took up some time was getting the lathe in position.What I call "Flipping the lathe Redneck way" here's couple pics just for some entertainment

DSC02710.JPG DSC02709.JPG DSC02708.JPG

Well, you're making progress.

And I don't know whether Clausing still has any nameplates or not. You'll just have to call and ask.

Good morning guys,well this past week I spent the time applying alittle bondo to the bed.Each afternoon after work I would sand the bondo then apply alittle more.I know,not only am I trying to make it one of those pretty boy lathes but a working lathe as well.Yes it is taking longer to do so but I'm not in no hurry,doing the bondo has taken me a week longer but time well spent.Just acouple more pics for some entertainment,enjoy and any comments,ideals or suggestions please post.

DSC02712.JPG DSC02711.JPG

Back