Colchester 1965 Roundhead Lathe Restoration Project

Mk1.5, that is correct, it is a mk1 but uses the "safety saddle" also used on the Mk2.

Phil I finally remember to check my crosslide nut and it has two carter keys but no allen screws.As I go through my lathe some things has been change due to previous owners,so I don't know what is right/wrong

can you post up a picture, I googled "carter keys" we in the UK call them "woodruff keys" and I am confused. ("nothing new there" they all shouted!)

Yes,sir I can.My t-nut should be showing up today I hope

DSC02876.JPG DSC02875.JPG

Ah right, see what you mean, in the UK we call them split pins. I have no idea how that nut works, the ones I have seen are either split part way through with an adjustment screw that closes the split, or in two halves with two screws holding them together and providing the adjustment. I will have to pass you over to Colchester Mk 1.5 experts whilst I go and look in my manual, be right back!
Phil

Well I can see how it works.............sort of, but how to adjust it? The wedge appears to force or at least hold the two threaded bronze pieces apart, but there appears to be nothing to hold the wedge down. I see the shoulders that bear on the split pins to stop the wedge dropping out. But unless the sides of the wedge have serrations like step block clamps for milling, I don't know how you would go about adjusting it. I am msytified. I would take it to pieces, but then I do that with everything, and somtimes even get some of it back together AND working! I have checked both my Colchester Mk1/ 1.5 books and the 1800 and there is no nut of this type shown in the spares section, the 1800 one is sort of similar, but uses a split nut with a top wedge and adjusting scres. You could take one of the split pins out and see if there is a thread in the hole, Anyone else got any ideas?
Phil

It looks like the wedge is displaced down into the gap of the two nuts by something above it on the slide like an adjusting screw of some sort. I would like to see the piece that it couples up to. I suspect that the cotter pins are there to hold it together for assembly and possibly keeps the nut that moves apart from rotating. They might deform as the nut moves away from the fixed portion.

Yes Techie, I reckon you have got it, an adjusting screw in the cross slide which fits into the recess in the wedge and pushes it down, and would of course hold it down!
Phil

Guys quick question,any knows what size belts the 13" takes?

Back