Colchester 1965 Roundhead Lathe Restoration Project

Good afternoon guys,well after reading 1961 post and Phil concur with 1961 got me thinking about what was said and a light went off.So I went looking at couple different manuals that I had down loaded but nothing.So awhile back I order a manual from Tony in the UK which I keep it in the house only,well I be in the manual is a good drawing of the parts which includes just what 1961 was saying but it don't show the split pins but it shows the screw.As 1961 saying the split pins is what allows the small half that kinda floats as the screw is adjusted.The larger piece is held in place with a bolt that goes through the slide.That bolt also has a oil hole that allows the cross slide nut and screw to get oil.So thanks to the help here,I now understand.Thanks guys

DSC02887.JPG Well guys,I have made alittle progress on the apron and saddle and the cross slide,such as install it on the lathe.I am going to call this part of my journey finish,and I had no parts left over.Doing the taper attachment took alittle extra time cause had it going the wrong way.Everything slides so smooth with no wiggle,yep I know its not shiny but thats OK.Still waiting on my bushings for both shafts thats for the tail end.Thanks for looking

DSC02888.JPG

Great feeling huh. Nice to see if back together. Are you missing the handles for the wheels of the cross slide and auxiliary slide?

Yes sir,they were pretty bad which I had to cut one of them off then grind flush.I may try to drill it out so that my first project would be to make a set of matching handles

One of my handles broke off when the lathe was moved about 3 years ago. I found it very difficult to use without it and replaced it as soon as I put the lathe back into service. Do you still have the old handle? I drilled out the end and put a split pin in to it and drove it back in.

hi Kroll, just looking at the pics of the cross slide, i can see the bolt that fixes the cross slide nut to the casting, but not the adjuster thar pushes the wedge down? Can you take a pic of the top of the cross slide with the compound slide off?
phil

I do have the one handle but it looks like the previous owner also tried to repair it but done more damage than good.
Phil I did pull it back out before I put the taper attachment back on just so I could see if I needed to adjust it.There is a small hole but it does not go all the way through to the screw and it was not threaded.On top of the cross slide there is not a hole at all to make that fine adjustment.I was wondering if maybe when you turn the screw either way that the two pieces expand or contract against the wedge piece which will tighten it I think.I may ask the question over on PM to see if someone has a better manual.Finding the hole that should have a screw in it per my manual from Tony got me thinking about some of the other problems that I found that did not look right.When I started putting this lathe back together after a good cleaning I found some of the bushings the oil holes were not drill all the way through so those bushing I don't see how they ever got oil.

Phil here is a pic,the bolt head that has the oil hole is what is bolted to the screw nut.The small end of the wedge is towards the taper attachment,the closes screw on top is off to one side.With that screw remove I can see the cross slide screw,I don't know what that hole is for and some of the others that you see a setscrew installed .

DSC02889.JPG DSC02890.JPG

Some of the threaded holes at the end of the cross slide are probably for the rear mounted tool holder. In this photo of mine with all of the attachments on it that I have, you can it at the back end.
23079332173_f062576c0e_c.jpg

Well my new bushing show up today,but I think there is a problem.Ones in the plastic are new,others are the originals, yep I check just to make sure I order the correct ones.
Well I be 1961,I see now what those holes are for.I was thinking that maybe the previous owner did some modifying

DSC02891.JPG

Back