Colchester 1965 Roundhead Lathe Restoration Project

Well, you're making progress.

And I don't know whether Clausing still has any nameplates or not. You'll just have to call and ask.
Hi, I am Frank with FDK 3 Company. I have new and used parts for Clausing Colchester roundhead and squared head lathes.

You can call me at 713-202-3551. I have alot of parts. I do have a used nameplate for your machine. I can send you a picture of it.

Frank
The Colchester lathe man

Good morning guys,thank you Frank(saving your #) been awhile since my last post haven't had hardly any extra time.So its just been hr here hr there kinda restoration.Put I have to say that since I have finish up installing the bushings for lead screw and power feed I am so close that I can taste success.So I though I would post a pic of the lathe in its new home.As far as I know,all that's left is finding the oil and figure out how to adjust the limit switch where I guess it rides on that square head bolt on the lever.Anyway sorry bout leaving my thread hanging.Oh I did fire up the motor without belts,tried out the high/low and forward/rev :)

DSC02946.JPG

A thing of beauty! It looks great and can't wait to see some more detail shots and hopefully a video of it running.

Sweet! I intend to give mine the once over when I get it into the new machine shop "area"
Phil

Thanks guys,found some 68 at Tractor Supply so I put it in today and install the lever badge with stainless steel drive screws.Working on the QCGB badge today while doing a clean up,paint repair a HF 3 in 1 shears,brake,roller machines for a very good person.Since I am having a long weekend Yahoooooo----kroll

Afternoon guys,well I kinda hit a snag today so taking alittle break from the lathe. Started working on another project for someone else since the snag is couple oil leaks in the spindle head.
What I did was started up the lathe and was taking it through the gears in low speed but I notice oil coming from behind the belt pulley which that is shaft B.I remember the o-ring which I was not sure if it stayed in place while installing that part the o-ring is on.Which was very tight,and on shaft A spindle side oil was coming from what called second shaft bearing which is also and o-ring leak.I pick up these o-rings from Ace which they look the same but maybe the OD of the o-ring was different.Guessing that while installing that part tapping it in the o-ring rolled out the groove which is very easy to do or it just cut the o-ring in to.Anyway I switch to the lowest speed in high and notice a tapping noise.So I took the cover off the head just to look,temptation is to start it up and watch but I may have oil all over my face.Anyway I know what needs to be done but any thoughts on those o-rings like a source?Taking a lathe break----kroll
DSC02966.JPG

DSC02965.JPG DSC02967.JPG

If you know the Industry number (AKA Dash Number), you can get them from about a bzillion places. In your application, there would be no reason to use any material other than Buna-N pr Neoprene. An easy place to find a list of the Dash Numbers is McMaster. Search on O-ring and click on the first choice on the Type list that comes up. Their list only goes up to 1/4" material diameter but that should cover anything used on any lathe anyone here could afford the space to keep.

Guys I forgot to say that while its running its a steady flow,but when off it don't leak.Thanks Robert,I will need to figure out what I need.You not kidding about bzillion o-rings,while looking I see they have round and square o-rings.
Edit:I be,I found one of the old o-rings.It looks flat on top but that may be due to age.So how do I figure the size and put it into dash #'s?Its about 1" dia,maybe 32rd thick,just guessing

DSC02968.JPG

Last edited:
Back