Colchester Chipmaster Restoration

TorontoBuilder

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
So this project should be good enough to merit it's own thread instead of my general thread on ongoing shop improvements.

Most of what I will be machining is small steam engines, small tools, small etching press rollers, pneumatic engravers and the like so a smaller precision lathe has been on my dream machine list. I was very excited when I found a chipmaster that I could potentially buy. The sellers were retiring at 55 and were in a hurry to just unload everything so what I thought would be 4 weeks to make arrangements because "we need this gone in a few days"...

Luckily a new acquaintance made though the Hobby Machinist was able to assist me with moving and temporary storage of the lathe until I can swap machines around and sell the existing lathe... @Mingy is a very fine fellow indeed.

The seller had the lathe out and sitting on two landscaping ties ready to be picked up by their fork lift. That's always nice. I botched getting the photo of it waiting to be picked up. Im an idiot.

A little fussiness upon loading due to the lathe turning out to be 1/4" too wide to fit on the trailer with the door in place. Quickly resolved that issue by removing the door and voila... slid right in.

IMG_20221107_142547216.jpg

Loaded it so that there was some weight on the trailer tongue, and had 4 solid points of fastening to ensure a very secure load and we were road ready. We stopped a couple of kms after the start of our journey back to Brian's property to double check nothing came loose. Safety first, no one dies and no property damage is a rule I follow when making such moves.

IMG_20221107_142522327.jpg

Back at Brian's the lathe was off loaded by his tractor with forks... set unto a pallet just inside the door of his shop, and then wheeled back into the shop proper on a pallet truck.

IMG_20221107_145811781.jpg

IMG_20221107_151521129.jpg

Sadly, the lathe is not all original. I noted that the tail stock had a different serial number (G3915) than the rest of the components, which was G4024 making the year of manufacture 1967 for the lathe and 1966 for the tail stock. I'd love to know the story.

IMG_20221107_145934380.jpg

IMG_20221107_142931600.jpg

In the items that came with the lathe I have a colchester collet chuck, but it is missing a part or I just didn't see it.

@schor who is now inactive posted this photo of a chuck similar to the one I got.... that (former?) member is only a few miles from me... I wonder what happened to the chuck and collets?

IMG-20130206-00032.jpg

i'm pretty sure that mine is a Burnerd Multisize collet chuck with D1-3 mount. It takes EC collets. I'm missing the cap that draws the chuck closed. I hope I find that within the stuff, but I dont recall seeing it.

In case I dont see it, I hope someone can provide me with the information I need to make my own

Last edited:
In the items that came with the lathe I have a colchester collet chuck, but it is missing a part or I just didn't see it.

@schor who is now inactive posted this photo of a chuck similar to the one I got.... that (former?) member is only a few miles from me... I wonder what happened to the chuck and collets?

View attachment 425954

i'm pretty sure that mine is a Burnerd Multisize collet chuck with D1-3 mount. It takes EC collets. I'm missing the cap that draws the chuck closed. I hope I find that within the stuff, but I dont recall seeing it.

In case I dont see it, I hope someone can provide me with the information I need to make my own

Good news. I can buy the chuck and collets on ebay from Quebec for only $4000 if I dont mind a divorce

Love me some Colchesters, that should make a great machine.

Wouldn't it more properly be called a Swarfmaster?
Me too. I had my eye on a few of them when this one fell into my lap.

Now my brother is on the hunt for newer student model for our main shop

This old Tony has that chuck.
Those collets are very interesting
I’m really looking forward to your project

This old Tony has that chuck.
Those collets are very interesting
I’m really looking forward to your project

Great now I know who to ask for the dimensions of the missing piece and I can assume that what I'd get from TOT would be correct.

UPDATE:
I got a line on a used well rusted collet chuck... it comes with 10 collets and I may be able to get the dimensions I need from the rusted part

Last edited:
Also discovered that the lathe comes with a Dickson quick change tool post and a number of tool holders. Yay. I'll have to figure out what size it is.

Also has this part which is unknown to me. I guess I need to buy a manual for the lathe asap

IMG_20221107_223500445.jpg

IMG_20221107_223454092.jpg

I never realized how many drive variations there were on Chipmasters over the years. It will be interesting to see what you have. It sounds like the early versions take some love to keep the clutch and variator going.

Those collets are expensive and the Dickson is a nice tool post. I'm guessing S2 in size but that might be a little large. I have an Algra which is similar in that size and it is on the large end for the Smart Brown 1024.

Attachments

• DSCN3823.JPG
    DSCN3823.JPG
    233.9 KB · Views: 8
I never realized how many drive variations there were on Chipmasters over the years. It will be interesting to see what you have. It sounds like the early versions take some love to keep the clutch and variator going.

Those collets are expensive and the Dickson is a nice tool post. I'm guessing S2 in size but that might be a little large. I have an Algra which is similar in that size and it is on the large end for the Smart Brown 1024.
I was told the clutch and variator were working fine. The company that had it barely used it. I regret not asking them how long they had it. I will be doing so shortly.

Back