Colchester student MK2 compound (top) slide nut adjustment

Deema

Registered
Registered
Managed today to get the compound slide disassembled and cleaned for the first time since owning the lathe. Everything is in really good condition with no discernible wear. Popping it back together I’ve got circa 10 microns of backlash, which I think is very good. However, I’ve got a problem. The slide is stiff when fully retracted towards the handle. The adjustment of the depth of the nut is at fault. The nut needs literally tapping into the hole before a grub screw locks it in place. I’ve been trying to get it set so the slide moves freely (which it did before I took it apart!) does anyone know a technique for setting the height of the nut apart from trial and error? I’ve convinced myself I’m missing something obvious! Senior moment!

I just went through the same thing. My lathe is a Clausing Colchester 15. It's made in Colchester England. Clausing was just the distributor.
I was asking the same question. Finally, I adjusted it by trial and error, it's smooth as glass now.
Yes, the grub screw sets the height. Good luck.
Mine showed no visible wear also. Love it!

Thanks for sharing, I’ve also managed through trial and error to get it adjusted.

Back