[How do I?] Cold air -vs- droplet/fogless -vs- Flood Application.

countryguy

Active User
Registered
I cannot seem to make up my mind on what I want to replace the Mister (fogger) I have now. Of the 3 systems on the title, which is used when? I see this 'chilly-bits' and cold air getting good reviews.

which should I run when milling w/ HSS no coatings on Aluminum? Seems like fogless on this one.
which should I run when milling w/ HSS , coated, on Aluminum? Cold air sees Ok here?
Lately I run a lot of cobalt tooling and seem to buy that over HSS if offered for a few bucks .

Steel- Coolant or air? both? ;-)
Anyway, Just wondering what other CNC'ers do. of late, mostly aluminum work.

Have a great week everyone.
CG.

Great question! I wish I knew the answer. I am with you on wanting to hear opinions.

I have all cool mist or noga mist systems. They cool great and blow the hell outta chips running 80 psi. It does make quite a fog in my garage after a time. I do use the additives to help against rusting.

Curious,
Why are you wanting to switch up from the mist type system?

Thanks!

Eric

I have both flood & mist. I use flood coolant for most work. I have good volume and pressure to evacuate chips from the cut / cutter so this is preferable to me despite the extra maintenance work coolant requires. On jobs that are drilling only or if I need to keep the enclosure doors open I use the no-mist system.

I use my fogless for almost everything. Kerosene coolant with a good air flow, about a half cup per hour for aluminum, a little less for most ferrous materials, a little more for stainless. Air only for UHMW, kerosene for PVC and acrylic. Dawn detergent and water in a spray bottle for polycarbonate.

The secret to fogless is to not atomize the spray, but rather keep it as small droplets.

Back