Cold weather is coming, how will you heat your shop?

55 gal. drums of water painted black

Nick

How did you manage to paint the water black. Thought that it was die that would be needed not paint.

LOL Ok so probably the drums painted black and filled with water. LOL

Sorry just had to say something, been staring at muliple pictures for last few week

Walter

Coal/wood hot forced air furnace. start off with wood, then bank coal. can burn for 29 hours before loading more coal

Currently using a ceiling mounted propane garage heater. Only use propane for this heater. Propane costs along with all sorts of miscellaneous charges and tank fees are forcing me to change to baseboard electric heat. Shame because ceiling mount heater heats up shop quickly, but dont use enough to justify.

I was just working on resolving this issue today. I'm going to use a barrel stove kit (Vogelzang) and use it to heat the 20x20 barn my tools/machines are in. I've been bricking up the floor riser and will do a brick overlay on the short wall that will be closest to the stove. It will be placed pretty much in the middle of the barn so it will have plenty of room to heat the entire space.

Here's the stove kit I picked up (at Ace hardware though, not Northern): http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_20894_20894

Afte I get all the brick in place I need to find a suitable 55gal drum for the kit. I'll also have to pick up some 6" stove chimney pipe, a roof joint and the pipe cap. I've been saving wood for it from all the trees I pruned on the property earlier this year, so fuel will be free for a while.

I use a wood heater that I made back in the mid 80's. It takes the chill off of a 36 x40. It also has a place to parch peanuts which are really good on a cold day!

My detached two-car garage shop is very well insulated-- walls and ceilings-- and has an excellent insulated door. I keep the thermostat set at 50 degrees-- the lowest it will go-- and the cost for my 25,000 BTU self-igniting natural gas ceiling-hung heater (properly vented and inspected to meet code) is negligible. Even on a 10-degree day, it takes just a few minutes to have the entire area toasty warm.

My biggest problem is in the hottest summer months, it can become almost unbearable since I don't have airconditioning.

Back