Collaborative Help Wanted !!!!!

Ulma Doctor

Infinitely Curious
Registered
i would hold harmless any design suggestion or part produced, by anyone to participate-
in other words, i'm doing stuff that is not normal.
any risk is mine alone- i would seek no blame, but my own- not from the peanut gallery!!!

that being said...

i have some less than orthodox thoughts in mind for some clamping support fixtures to go onto an off-road motorcycle.

i have 3D printed the designs from (tinker)CAD files that are still in development and mock up.
i have a functional print, but the problem is that i want to CNC reproduce the parts in billet aluminum, as well as some in 304 Stainless

Cons:
I don't own any CNC equipment.
i'm ignorant as to how to convert a 3d printed object and the G-code from that object to CNC reductive machining practices
i suppose i'm a bit foolish, or mad, or both!
technologically challenged with the ways or CNC (i understand the basic principles, but have zero experience)
bull-headed sometimes :grin big:

Pros:
I got materials
I got (a bunch of) tooling for the experiments (endmills, drills, carbide inserts, etc.
i got the desire !!!

I can share more details if there is interest.

any takers?????
any pointers ????
any help is appreciated, no comment unwelcome

Thank you for your time.

You haven't stated your goal so I don't know if you intend to build one prototype, a few sets or to swamp the market before the Chinese rip you off.

Without the answer to that question, the following is probably premature, but I've written it and it's food for thought.

I'm not the guy to fab your parts but I think I can help you get ready.

You say you "have designs". To me, a design is a comprehensive data package (specifications and drawings) that fully describe the finished item(s).

Comprehensive means that every characteristic of the item is defined and no characteristic is undefined.

Think of the data package as the contract(s) that your supplier(s) agrees to to perform when you commission them.

I'll assume you are not familiar with what constitutes a comprehensive data package or how to get one.

There will be many here that will po po the need for a data package. That's the world they have lived in.

If you go to production without comprehensive drawings, you are abdicating significant details of the design to the manufacturer.

If you create (or commission) comprehensive drawings, you'll have designs that can be competitively bid by any qualified manufacturer.

There are many ways to skin the cat. Not sure which cat you're after.

Mike,

I do not have the equipment to help you, or much knowledge in CNC but I do have a few thoughts.......

i'm ignorant as to how to convert a 3d printed object and the G-code from that object to CNC reductive machining practices

I believe the g-code is machine specific.
That is, the g-code produced for your 3D-printer, may not work on my 3D-printer.

A true 3D solid model (from Solid Works, Fusion-360, Cubify, OnShape, FreeCad and many others) can be turned into g-code but that happens with the specifics of the target machine in mind. The machine specs and the model are inputs, the g-code is the output.

Have you thought about using your 3D-printed part as pattern for green-sand casting in aluminum?
Alternately there's a lost-PLA type casting as well.

-brino

i would hold harmless any design suggestion or part produced, by anyone to participate-
in other words, i'm doing stuff that is not normal.
any risk is mine alone- i would seek no blame, but my own- not from the peanut gallery!!!

that being said...

i have some less than orthodox thoughts in mind for some clamping support fixtures to go onto an off-road motorcycle.

i have 3D printed the designs from (tinker)CAD files that are still in development and mock up.
i have a functional print, but the problem is that i want to CNC reproduce the parts in billet aluminum, as well as some in 304 Stainless

Cons:
I don't own any CNC equipment.
i suppose i'm a bit foolish, or mad, or both!
technologically challenged with the ways or CNC (i understand the basic principles, but have zero experience)
bull-headed sometimes :grin big:

Pros:
I got materials
I got (a bunch of) tooling for the experiments (endmills, drills, carbide inserts, etc.
i got the desire !!!

I can share more details if there is interest.

any takers?????
any pointers ????
any help is appreciated, no comment unwelcome

Thank you for your time.
HI DOC....
Send me a PM with your email.......
I have CNC MACH....S.W./F-360/other software....
Lets see if I can help you......
ZZBOB.....

Heya Mike.

Exotropic has some good points but...

Really, what you need to do is have the item modeled in something other than STL or G-code (yes guys, i know G-code is not a model).

I would suggest have someone draw it up in Fusion or Solidworks where design changes are easy to implement.

EDIT: Looks like ZZBob or Dog (how do I know your are not Top?) beat me to it.

You haven't stated your goal so I don't know if you intend to build one prototype, a few sets or to swamp the market before the Chinese rip you off.

Without the answer to that question, the following is probably premature, but I've written it and it's food for thought.
I'm not the guy to fab your parts but I think I can help you get ready.

You say you "have designs". To me, a design is a comprehensive data package (specifications and drawings) that fully describe the finished item(s).

Comprehensive means that every characteristic of the item is defined and no characteristic is undefined.

Think of the data package as the contract(s) that your supplier(s) agrees to to perform when you commission them.

I'll assume you are not familiar with what constitutes a comprehensive data package or how to get one.

There will be many here that will po po the need for a data package. That's the world they have lived in.

If you go to production without comprehensive drawings, you are abdicating significant details of the design to the manufacturer.

If you create (or commission) comprehensive drawings, you'll have designs that can be competitively bid by any qualified manufacturer.

There are many ways to skin the cat. Not sure which cat you're after
Thank you for the information. thanks for the insight as well

the project may only have a couple copies of each design, i don't think many people will follow my lead on this mod.
this is completely for fun and to achieve an end of mounting a fuel tank, as well as adding stiffness to the frame of the motorcycle
the design of the parts i wish to make is simple, and adaptable to design changes for ease of manufacture
i have working models in PLA plastic as pictured below

Back