Collet Chuck Holder Non Accurate

A. Fig Lee

Registered
Registered
Hello everyone,
just checked my PrincessAuto (read HarbourFreight) mini mill chuck and found a cause for 0.008" mill bit deviation.
Here is the offending part:

NKN_9920%20-%20Version%202-M.jpg

As you may see something went wrong and that piece of metal is uneven.
Would it be ok just remove it on lathe?
I do not see that part is responsible for anything, is not it?

I would give it a try and see what happens. You won't be any worse off if it doesn't work. The other option would be to send it back and get another one. Normally on that kind of stuff, I just fix it and go on with life. Takes more time to deal with customer (non) service than it does to just fix it.

Hey A. Fig Lee,

Wait!
That's not the clearest of photos, but if you are talking about the apparent off-centre lip in the collet nut then that's what it is supposed to look like!!!!

It is a feature not a bug!
That lip locks into the groove on the collet and pulls the collet from the taper when you loosen the nut!
In fact you need to lock the collet into the nut before putting the nut/collet on the spindle nose.

See my similar picture in post #6 of this thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/is-there-a-definitive-article-on-collets.36227/#post-313635

-brino

Listen to somebody who knows what they are talking about. Forget what I said above, I stand corrected.

Thanks brino.

Hey A. Fig Lee,

Wait!
That's not the clearest of photos, but if you are talking about the apparent off-centre lip in the collet nut then that's what it is supposed to look like!!!!

It is a feature not a bug!
That lip locks into the groove on the collet and pulls the collet from the taper when you loosen the nut!
In fact you need to lock the collet into the nut before putting the nut/collet on the spindle nose.

See my similar picture in post #6 of this thread:
http://www.hobby-machinist.com/threads/is-there-a-definitive-article-on-collets.36227/#post-313635

-brino

Bingo! Wow, I did not know that. Thank you very much. Tried make it correct and everything was perfect.

Listen to somebody who knows what they are talking about......Thanks brino.

Jim, Considering the source that is very high praise!

Thank you very much. Tried make it correct and everything was perfect.

You are very welcome. I am glad that fixed your problem!

I always feel that I get so much out of this site, it's great to be able to give a little back.

-brino

Brino is exactly correct.

I use ER and TG style collets very day at work and all of them are like that.

And yes be sure to push the collet into the cap and make sure it's in place before tightening it or you can damage the collet and the cap.

Hello everyone,
just checked my PrincessAuto (read HarbourFreight) mini mill chuck and found a cause for 0.008" mill bit deviation.

Hello everyone,

Good day Mr Fig Lee, before you machine out what you see as the cause of your run out on your collet holder, I also have one of these tools. Bought in South Africa, probably a HF tool but branded under a different name. I too noticed that the internal ring was off centre, but soon figured out that it is the method used for extracting the collett from the arbor when you loosen the collett nut. With out that ring you will find it very difficult indeed to remove the collett without using brutal force. Hope this helps before you go ahead with removing that ring. Kind regards Basil

Back