Collet decisions

How big is the stock you are turning?

LMS has a 3C collet closer setup. I have one on my 8.5x18 lathe. Max size is only 1/2" and 1/2" won't pass though, but its been really handy for cutting parts from smaller bar.

The thing is 3MT is pretty small. Anything that fits that taper is going to have a pretty small hole in the back end. Maybe if you can find a set of 3MT collets with an external thread? Then you could make your own draw bar and spin handle pretty easily.

Make your own ER32 collet chuck to fit on the spindle. Not that hard to do, I made one for my Taig lathe (which doesn't have threading capability.) It will by definition be concentric to your spindle.

On my KC1022 I am presently using a MT4 ER32 collet chuck similar to what you linked to from Amazon. Works well but no through parts of course. It is a temporary measure, I will be making a spindle mounted one.

The alternative is to buy the hhip one. (This one on banggood is less $) You will need to buy a backing plate to match it to your spindle. Mount the backing plate, face it, then cut a register. You can align it for dead on concentricity, then tighten the 3 bolts. Stefan Gotteswinter has a video on YouTube showing the process about 15:30 into the video.

The advantage of collets is repeat concentricity. What ever size you get, buy a full metric set. This spans the inferial sizes as well.

I have the collet chuck in the second link for my 7x16. I purchased it from LMS. There is no way to hold the chuck for tightening the nut. The specified torque on the nut is 100 lb/ft and the HF lathe has no way to lock the spindle. I'm thinking of using some 3/8" drill rod as a Tommy bar and boring a 3/8" Tommy bar hole in the flange. Anyone got a better way?

Last edited:
I have the collet chuck in the second link for my 7x16. I purchased it from LMS. There is no way to hold the chuck for tightening the nut.
I would drill 3 tommy bar holes like you said and use a 3/8" bar to hold the chuck while unscrewing the nut with a wrench, watch your knuckles:black eye:.

I would drill 3 tommy bar holes like you said and use a 3/8" bar to hold the chuck while unscrewing the nut with a wrench, watch your knuckles:black eye:.
Or more holes so you can always use a grip to break the hold. Tends to be much easier. I do it all the time with wrenches on my ER collet spindle noses. I've found the grip open seems to work the best with the least number of flying wrenches. My ER spindles do have wrench flats.

Back