Collet holders?

It may be worth your time to see if it is possible to mount a new type of spindle mount on your lathe. Those Dro-pro lathes have a very basic and inconvenient spindle mount (a flange with bolts). I'm not familiar with the aftermarket for these, but surely there is an improved aftermarket spindle mounting available. If nothing else it seems like making a bolt on threaded spindle would be a better option.

This mounting system will continue to be a problem for you with any chucks you use with this lathe. In my opinion that would be a very worthwhile upgrade that you will appreciate for years to come. I'm not familiar enough with these lathes to know if you could adapt the quick release mount from the PM 1022/1030 or the threaded spindle from the Grizzly G602 but that might be an option as it appears they are just variants of the same basic lathe. It might be worth calling Dropros to see if they are aware of any better options.

This website shows the common spindle mounting types.

It seems yours is simply a flange with bolts which is normally only found on the cheapest 7x Chinese mini lathes. I would think it could be converted relatively easily, at the cost of maybe an inch or two of working length. Unfortunately while the chuck adapter plates are easily found the actual spindle nose assemblies don't seem to be available to make such a conversion.

There are a couple of threads from others wanting to convert their spindle to another type.

This one is from last year and he seems to have the same kind of plain flange spindle

Here is one 2 years ago converting a threaded spindle to a D1-3 spindle mount

0807394-11.jpg

How does the collet mount and how does this mount to the lathe. Why would I want a draw bar vs no draw bar or a 100mm face chuck type?
I just never used any of this, not trying to be difficult. More like a kindergardner, have to explain real easy..haha
The pic is not a collet. It has no slots in it . so it can not close. To hold a part.

Good eye Jim, I see what your saying, not sure where I got that pic.
I have watched all the attached videos and can clearly see it's not a collet chuck.

I am learning a lot here!!

I finally understand the differences in some of the collet chucks and how they fit and why one would go with one over the other. I like the through spindle function. I will go with a chuck that allows that on the spindle and pick up a mt2 chuck for my tail stock.

Lathe dog, from pictures I could not understand them in the least. After reading 4-5 descriptions I finally got it. The dog does the turning by locking into the chuck or spindle, correct? What a concept..love this learning stuff all the timeo_O

Back