Collet Identification - Help Needed

benzflieger

Registered
Registered
I've just inherited my Grandfathers's 1963 Burke model MV mill and I'm trying to identify the type of collets it uses so I can expand my tooling collection. At first I thought they were R8 but my collets don't have the flare at the bottom like the R8's I've seen. All the collets are about 4.25" long. They appear to only use one taper angle although it is stepped in several locations as shown in the photos. (EDIT: see separate posting of photos below) Any ideas?

600f01d31764bd4450e011cefadb2125.jpg
bd9b7b1797fca41320034fd4a3b00930.jpg
6a9d74e254e28b48ff1fc61686c446f1.jpg
c1bce11749c3d2693339ef8ab341b30f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Welcom to the site , my collet collection consists of R8 and 5C ,
but if you search how to post pics using tapatalk and repost the pics so we can see them ,not red x's
Guess posting pics is different on this site with tapatalk
Someone will be along that will know
Thanks

Sounds like Brown and Sharpe #9, they're about that long. Look up "machine taper" on Wikipedia; they list the sizes of various standard tapers
Mark S.

Look similar to some smaller draw-bar Morse Taper collets I have. Maybe an MT3 or MT4 Morse

So probably a #9 B&S taper. What's throwing me off, however, is most of the references I seen show the flat "tongue" or "tang" on the top (narrow end) of a #9B&S collet. Since this tongue shown in the reference materials is obviously NOT present in my collets nor compatible with the threading in of a drawbar, are there #9 B&S tapers that have the tapped hole for a draw bar instead of the tongue?

Last edited:
So probably a #9 B&S taper. What's throwing me off, however, is most of the references I seen show the flat "tongue" or "tang" on the top (narrow end) of a #9B&S collet. Since this tongue shown in the reference materials is obviously NOT present in my collets nor compatible with the threading in of a drawbar, are there #9 B&S tapers that have the tapped hole for a draw bar instead of the tongue?

Yes there are. My Rotex horizontal mill is set up for B&S #9 with drawbar.

I've got BS9 tooling if anyone needs some........

Daryl
MN

Ok, thanks for all the input everyone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back