Collet Identification - Help Needed

Most Burke mills used the Brown & Sharpe taper. Usually a #9. They use a 7/16" drawbar.

Some are stepped like yours and some are not.

I took a look at the drawbar on my model '63 MV mill this morning and the drawbar is threaded for 1/2-13. Fortunately, it looks like BS9 tooling can be found out there with both the 1/2-13 and 7/16-14 tap.
A somewhat separate question (but really the reason for my OP, though) is that now I need to figure out how to economically hold a 2" or 3" boring bar head given I have a BS9 spindle taper.
One way (not necessarily the most economical) to do this to get a boring head from Shars with the 1 1/2-18 threaded shank (e.g. Shars SKU 202-8014) and thread in a separate 3/4" straight shank boring head arbor (e.g. Shars SKU 202-8004). I'd prefer to find BS9 tapered arbor that already has a 1 1/2-18 end thread so I can avoid having using the intermediate 3/4" BS9 drawbar collet.
I've got BS9 tooling if anyone needs some........

Daryl
MN
Any suggestions on where to find the BS9 boring head arbor with a 1 1/2-18 thread? Any other economical suggestions? I'm totally fine with used tooling!

I make my own tools for my B&S 9 spindle. I turn the #9 taper on bar stock and then machine whatever I need on the other end. I make my own arbors for whatever I need.

Yep,
Making your own is a real option. Easy to do if you have a lathe. You can use the compound or a taper attachment.

Any suggestions on where to find the BS9 boring head arbor with a 1 1/2-18 thread? Any other economical suggestions? I'm totally fine with used tooling!

Regardless, I'm pretty sure there is a BS9 boring head arbor with a 1 1/2-18 in the pile.
benzflieger, I'll check tomorrow and message you.

Daryl
MN

Yep,
Making your own is a real option. Easy to do if you have a lathe. You can use the compound or a taper attachment.

Regardless, I'm pretty sure there is a BS9 boring head arbor with a 1 1/2-18 in the pile.
benzflieger, I'll check tomorrow and message you.

Daryl
MN

Unfortunately I don't have a lathe and it will probably be a few years before I do.

Sounds good, Daryl. Thanks for looking.... and thanks again to all for help with the collet identification.
-Erich

Daryl, I might be interested in the B&S 9 arbor in 1 1-2" diameter, if you have a spare you wish to,part with. I need to tool up my Burke #4 and am having troubles finding 1" cutters. So thinking about 1 1/2" ID cutters instead.

Thanks
Glenn

Daryl what all BS9 stuff do you have? any USA-made collets?
Mark

I have an older (1942) US Machine Tools #1 mill. The company was later bought by Burke. Burke continued to use the B&S #9 collets on their machines. There are several vendors on eBay and some online tool houses that still have collets. Here's a link to one vendor on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/11-PIECE-B...894051?hash=item51fd972ce3:g:el0AAOSwYHxWKmwj

As for using different ID cutters, I made several adaptors to fit my 1" arbor Essentially they are oversize washers with an internal and external keyway, and a stop collar similar to a shaft collar on each end. I slide one stop collar on the arbor, slip the adaptor over the arbor and hold it in place with a key then slip the cutter over the adaptor and insert the second key. Slide the stop collars into place and tighten them. I use a variety of different ID cutters from 1" to 2"

Be careful when using collets to hold end mills; the helix can draw the end mill down into the workpiece. On valuable work it is safer to use an end mill holder.

Back