Collet question

fkrel

Registered
Registered
The lathe I have came with 35 collets .500 to .016 what would you use a .016 and even some of the other small collets for? Unless it is for sharpening needles.

Making carburetor metering rods was once a common practice. I'd say you have a lucky find, a set of 35 collets would cost a pretty penny to buy outright, and even more to piece together from ebay.

Ok I never thought of carb needles but would of rather had up to 3/4 or so. I have seen them on e-bay and you are right they cost a pretty penny

If the collets are 3AT or 3C, 1/2" is the largest size that either of those types come in, and is the largest size that will fit a 9", 10" or 12" Atlas or Atlas-Craftsman lathe, because that's about the limit on the draw tube diameter, which has to be somewhat larger OD and ID than the collet capacity. And the collet closer adapter must also fit into a 3MT taper.

If the collets are ER type, there is an upper and a lower limit for each ER size.

Thanks for the info guys. I believe my collets are the 3at by measuring them.

One would be hard pressed to differentiate between 3AT and 3C from just looking at them. But 3AT or 3C should be engraved into the front face of each collet, along with the size. If you ever end up with a mix of both types, the 3C is about 3/8" longer. There are some other differences but that's the only one that's obvious.

Here is a picture of the set I have nothing on the collet but the size..... just recounted them there are 30

collets.jpg

Last edited:
I found another chart on collet size length, dia, etc and it makes me question which ones I have , thread looks to be 26tpi my thread gage has 24 tpi but is not exact fit the thread dia is .690 oal is 2.62 back bearing dia is .702

Last edited:
Yeah, I feel your pain. Recheck the OD of the back bearing area. Try to measure the angle between the side and the tapered head. And post a side view photo of one of the smaller ones, say 1/16".

If the increments between sizes are 1/32", you are missing two collets.

I cleaned up a couple collets better and they are marked stark co. some of them are marked st co.

Back