[Newbie] Collet

Grader Johnny

H-M Supporter - Silver Member
H-M Supporter - Silver Member
Hey all. I founds these I a draw with the 10f lathe. Been told they are collets but unsure how the would work any ideas?
b03cf22913ae46e2ed033af7af6f31b3.jpg

6a6cf0f3e13919d4c7938e1cbeac39ca.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Someone said black n decker valve grinder collets

The thing about collets is there are so many different types.

P%2045.jpg

This list is hard to read, even blown up on a big screen. But, it gives an idea in that each line on each page represents an entirely different set that isn't going work in place of any of the others.

It's been said that getting into machining is similar to jumping down a rabbit hole. The world of collets can be worse. 5V are by far the most universal. Collet blocks, Spindexers, lots of uses. But then you choose a mill. Now you need R-8 or MT3 or whatever. Maybe you add a subhead & / or dividing head. What collets do those take? Well pick something that uses the collets you got! No.no.no. You pick what goes with the mill. Now what collets to collect..... I often pray that I'm done collecting collets. I never wanted to find myself in this collet junkie position. I don't wish it on anyone.

I'm just sharing a 2 car garage with a whole lot of car parts, so, I had to go vertical with my affliction.

Not sure what you got there, but put them up on EBay before it's too late & you end up like me...............................

Attachments

• 20211103 02.jpg
    20211103 02.jpg
    298.2 KB · Views: 13
Technically these are sleeves used to hold a smaller workpiece in a larger collet. That is why there are 2 numbers on it; The larger is the collet you need, and the smaller one is the size of the work piece.

These I didn’t buy but came with the tools with the atlas 10f I bought. I’m not going to use them as I bought a er40 collet set for the lathe.

Attachments

• EDEA230B-0FCE-4DD6-8EB4-88B1936C81C3.png
    EDEA230B-0FCE-4DD6-8EB4-88B1936C81C3.png
    673.7 KB · Views: 8
Back