Collets For My 9x20?

Johnwright

Wannabe machinist
Registered
I threw a dial indicator on the nose of a center in the spindle of my Jet 9X20 and was surprised of the minimal runout. Remember, I'm new at this, but it got me thinking (I know, we shouldn't be doing that) if there is any way to use collets in the MT3 tapered spindle of my lathe for turning common sizes of smaller stock? Advantages? Disadvantages? Or should I just stop thinking.

you can use mt3 collets or larger er40 set with your lathe
the mt3 goes to about 5/8" and the er40 goes to about 1"
the down side is you cannot pass longer stock through the collets
I know I purchased both when I bought my 9x20
If you can a 5c collet chuck may be a better choice because it will hold larger stock, you can pass the stock through it and use collet stops for accurate repeat stock placement.
my mt3 and er40 sets are almost never used now.
Steve

If your lathe has a morse taper in the spindle you can use MT collets with a drawbar. I do that in my Craftsman Commercial 12x36. With the draw bar.... stock wont extend thru the spindle so you must use short pieces. You will waste a little material. These collets don't self release when you loosen the drawbar, you will have to hit the drawbar nut with a hammer. I do not like having to do that.....must be hard on the bearings. I like using the collets they are great for holding small parts. I'm a noob too. This site is AWSOME.

Back