Collets Size Purpose??

Kroll

Active User
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Guys I understand most of the sizes that will fit say rod from 1/4 on up but what is the purpose of say 1/16 collet?I always see these sets of collets for sell but I don't see a need for something smaller that a 1/4

What kind of collets , I imagine watch makers could use 1/16” maybe smaller :dejected:

You may not have a use for a collet that small but a clockmaker would
Mark

It all depends on what you're using the collets for. I have R8, C5, and S2 collets by 1/64". They allow the use of number and letter drills, as well as end mills with different size shanks. I have some 3/16" end mills with 3/8", 5/16, 1/4", and 3/16" shanks. I also have many end mills under 1/8" where the shank and cutting end are the same diameter.

Most drill chucks are limited to a minimum size of 1/16", and end mills should always be used in a collet. Without the smaller size collets there would be no way to hold any of these tools. I wouldn't try single pointing any thread on a lathe without a collet. There are lots of screw sizes from size #0 (.060) to size #10 (.190) that require collet sizes smaller than 1/4"

My 5C collet set starts at 1/16", my R8 set starts at 1/8". Neither of those collets has been used, but you never know when I might want to turn down some welding rod... :eek 2:

In addition to watch makers, musical instrument repair people often use small collets, for example when making small screws or holding small threaded parts without damaging the threads. 1/16" is too large for some of these purposes and that's where the watch makers small lathes with tiny collets come in handy.

Thanks guys,I was just wondering who would use those sizes.If and when I get my Delta 11" lathe going I was wanting to check into a collet set.It has the LOO chuck

Very useful for small steam engines

I do a lot of micro machining, mostly clock and watch parts. I use collets smaller than 1/16” ALL THE TIME. My R8 set goes down to 1/16” and I can’t recall ever using it? But you never know? IE: A Bridgeport size milling machine is not the machine of choice for making tiny parts. You need to feel the machining operation and the Bridgeport is just too massive for that. A 1/16” and smaller collet really goes better/hand in hand with very small machines…Dave

Last edited:
Back