Colt Model 1849

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
My Great Grandfather carried a 4" barreled 1849 Colt as a flag bearer in the Civil War (54th Ohio). As the youngest son of his oldest son, he gave it to my father. My father loaned it to his uncle for his collection. His uncle died and his widow sold off the collection.

I hunted for the revolver for over a year (my father did not have the serial number). In the process, I spent weeks in the National Archives tracing my Great Grandfather's steps throughout the war via company commander logs. I was even able to pinpoint the weekend he was on leave and met my Great Grandmother. I knew none of this would help find the gun, but once I got started in my search, my curiosity continued to grow.

I never found the gun I was looking for, but acquired this 6" barrelled 1849 a few years ago. It was shipped in 1863, so it was around during the Civil War. Not as satisfying as the original would have been, but probably in better shape.

Attachments

• Model 1849b.JPG
    Model 1849b.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 28
Thanks for sharing an interesting story!

Having the original gun would have been great, but finding out what you did about your Great Grandfather
sounds like some compensation. Great story.

What a drag that your great granddad's gun never made it back to you! I love your new acquisition. It looks like my Colt Navy. I'm not familiar with the 1849 and will now have to research it. My cold Navy was handed down to me by my uncle, who received it from his dad, who received it from his dad. I wish I knew more of its history and might be able to track it down. You've inspired me. Mine has been a safe queen for decades.
My Great Grandfather carried a 4" barreled 1849 Colt as a flag bearer in the Civil War (54th Ohio). As the youngest son of his oldest son, he gave it to my father. My father loaned it to his uncle for his collection. His uncle died and his widow sold off the collection.

I hunted for the revolver for over a year (my father did not have the serial number). In the process, I spent weeks in the National Archives tracing my Great Grandfather's steps throughout the war via company commander logs. I was even able to pinpoint the weekend he was on leave and met my Great Grandmother. I knew none of this would help find the gun, but once I got started in my search, my curiosity continued to grow.

I never found the gun I was looking for, but acquired this 6" barrelled 1849 a few years ago. It was shipped in 1863, so it was around during the Civil War. Not as satisfying as the original would have been, but probably in better shape.

Back