Colt Non-Detective Special

Tmate

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
I acquired this rather curious handgun a few years ago. At the time, I assumed it was a run-of-the-mill 1st issue nickel plated Colt Detective Special. The barrel says its a Detective Special, and the serial number identifies it as being of 1931 manufacture.

I did some research on these models, and found that the rounded butt, which my revolver has, was not introduced in the Detective Special until the following year. Also, the ejector rod looked a bit longer than normal on a 1st issue. The nickel plating is close to 100% intact, which is somewhat unusual for a 90 year old revolver. Barrel rifling is perfect. This prompted me to send off for an authentication letter from Colt. I also had a conversation with a Colt historian.

Surprisingly, the letter from Colt indicated that the gun was originally a Police Positive Special model with a 4" barrel and a blue finish. So at some point it was re-barreled with a Detective Special barrel and refinished in nickel. I don't know if the 1931 Police Positive was available with the round grips. If not, then this gun had the frame modified as well as the replacement barrel.

Just goes to show that you can't judge a book (or gun) by its cover.

Attachments

• IMG_9524.JPG
    IMG_9524.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 55
  • IMG_9527.JPG
    IMG_9527.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_9526.JPG
    IMG_9526.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 34
  • IMG_9521.JPG
    IMG_9521.JPG
    3.4 MB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Actually, with that I'd be comfortable out to 5 yds. or so if I'm trying to stay within one minute of Bad Guy. I've always considered short-barreled pistols and revolvers to be belly guns, i.e. short-range defensive pieces. But that's just me. ;)

Accuracy is in the hand of the beholder.

The key factor of the Detective Special has always been the weight. Alloy frame that weighed half what a Police Special snubnose would weigh.
That was, for many years, the way to easily spot one.
But a rebarrelled snubnose is still a really nice piece, especially a survivor from that era. There were so very many re-worked by unqualified hacks (before departments had real "armorers") that this one might be a real find. Might have some stories to tell.

Back