Combining parts from different heads

John_Dennis

Active User
Registered
I am looking at purchasing a Bridgeport that comes with 2 heads, both have issues. I am wondering if I can combine the working parts to get a functioning unit.

Head 1 is a J model will not engage gears. it is classic looking bridgeport with a step pulley

Head 2 is a variable speed (possibly a series I) model that is missing the motor pulley.

Can I put the step pulley assembly on the variable speed head?

No power on location so I can't test anything.

If all else fails, what would I expect to pay for a used variable speed pulley?

Thanks

John

Last edited:
Not sure what you mean by "will not engage gears". Can you be more specific? Google "Bridgeport Manual" then download a copy. Drawings should answer many of your questions. Check Ebay for prices for used vs pulley.

I would think the step pulley head would be easier to repair- backgears won't engage? Might not be too serious

The variable speed head has a Reeves pulley on the motor side, that expands to adjust speed. It’s entirely different than the step pulley. I suggest this will not work in any desirable way, maybe not even in an undesirable way.

I would venture to say that the step pulley head would be the easier repair.

If I had it to do over I think that I would go with the step pulley instead of the VS.
Use a quality VFD and control the speeds with it, while the BP belts would be set mid-range.
There was a thread shortly after I got mine in '15 that went that route.
My VS needs brakes, a belt and who knows what else.
And now in hindsight and looking into tearing into the head it seems a bit daunting and time consuming.

What I am wondering is if the entire drive assembly can be swapped between heads

I concur with middle.road about going with the step pulley. My home Bridgeport is a step pulley, and I use a variable speed Bridgeport at the RR museum. My mill has a two speed motor, and two speed transmission...back gear. Between those, I rarely have to change belt positions, but if I do, it’s just releasing a positioning lever and moving the belt.
Maybe 30 seconds to do. If something goes wrong with the VS drive, even opening it up is a bit of a project. And the first VS belt replacement is a frustration if you don’t follow the manual steps exactly.

Ok I watched some Bridgeport repair videos so now I can perhaps be more articulate. Are the Quill Assemblies the same on a step pulley and variable speed head?

Thanks

I've worked on two vari-speed units but never a step pulley. I believe the quils/spindles are basically the same. I would suggest calling H&W repair:

These guys are great! Good place to do business with. They have a reputation for helping people like you and me on the phone, even if we are not customers. I have purchased parts from them before and would do so again. They also have a great library of YouTube videos on Bridgeport repairs so check them out as well.

Ted

Agree about H&W...they explained why I didn’t need what I was asking for, sold me the right stuff for less.

Back