Comet 0-6 T Internal Threading Tool?

MBfrontier

Active User
Registered
A 6" vise is overkill for a RF45 style mill. A 4" is more appropiate for that size mill & IMO 5" max. I have a 5" GMT vise on my PM45 & it's slightly too big. Not enough Y axis travel to make use of the 5" full capacity. Better to save your money rather than getting something too big & most importantly the weight. I take my vise of the table quite often, a 6" is still light enough for me to be carried by hand but I'm glad I have a 5". I also have a 4" vise as well. I prefer the 5" though.

But those GMT 6" Premium vises are pretty nice. I'd love to have one but don't need one on my current mill. But if you plan on upgrading to a full size knee mill in the future than the 6" will be perfect.

Here's what the 5" looks like on my mill.
Img_1921.jpg

I couldn't even complete this cut without my bellows & DRO scale getting in the way. Not enough Y travel & the 5" vise is not even maxed out.
Img_7597_zpscb8b5dd7.jpg

Here's what a 6" vise looks like on another PM45 (gt40's)
View attachment 253544

Check the included angle and see if its 60 degrees. If it is, then maybe its for threading. The angle of the tip is not perpendicular to the shank so if its for cutting threads then the tool would be angled a bit for shank clearance, maybe?

Thanks for the response Mike. Sorry, I forgot to mention the included angle is 60 degrees. Yes, a slight angle would be required to line it up to the work with a threading gauge.

I would try using it. It would be very simple to sharpen and looks like a good tool.

I have made some from o1 steel that look very similar to that tool. Pretty easy to make--there is detailed info on the internet how to do it. You can make them any size and length you need. They work well in softer material.

Hi, all.

After purchasing two old Logan lathes with tooling I have had this tool around for a while and I'm curious if anyone has used one and, if so, is it as handy as it seems or should I not consider trying to use it. It looks like an internal threading tool to me and it is labeled on the shank with "COMET 0-6 T". I'm not sure if it is high speed steel, cobalt, or carbide. Also, does anyone know if they can still be purchased? Any input would be appreciated. Here are some pictures of the tool:
IMG_1311_zpsl5ai9dpu.jpg

IMG_1312_zpsyjtolwuh.jpg

IMG_1310_zps71qk3diq.jpg
I used to buy directly from Comet; they have been out of business for many years; they basicly copied the same items made by the BOKUM company which is still in business.

They have many other styles and sizes of boring bars as well as the threading bars. I think Comet was more or less ripping off Bokum's line of products; Bokum was the original producer in the form relieved boring tool line.

Back