Comfortable and useful shop stool - do they exist?

Alan H.

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
I am fortunate that I now get to spend a lot of time in my shop. I keep a laptop on one of my worktables and have a stool there to sit on. The stool is fine for a few minutes but it sure isn't the gold standard! It puts my legs to sleep and after a bit, my butt hurts.

I have read some glowing reviews and reports on "tractor seat" stools and thought about giving one a try. Ordering stools is a shot in the dark at best and I have spent time on this search before.

Here is what I have but now wanting something better. Advice and experience would be appreciated.

upload_2017-4-16_7-56-24.png

Edit: here's the spot where I want a better stool.
workstation.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My bench is rather high. I often do a lot of small work so needed an adjustable seat to sometimes get at eye level and others to look down. The foot rest adjusts to prevent the legs falling asleep problem.

My vote is for the drafting seat. Only problem occurs if you have an antifatigue matt in front of your bench. Rolling won't work.

http://www.staples.ca/en/Staples-Drafting-Chair-Black/product_559775_2-CA_1_20001

David

I use the Kobalt pneumatic with a back rest from Lowes. Supposedly has a lifetime warranty.

I use my old computer chairs with the backs removed to give an adjustable height and casters.
It means I can roll it around and sit at jobs else where in the shop.

I just bought a swiveling stool similar to yours, but with a small backrest and the hydraulic adjustment for up and down. My original stool, wooden with a swivel top, had wooden legs and was a bit high. The new one has a perfect height adjustment range to me. Seems to be well built, with the bottom a powder coated black. Four legs. Cost $40

I have 2 craftsman high stools with backs and hydraulic lift. They are comfortable for me and the right height for my work bench.
Craftsman Black Adjustable Hydraulic Seat

prod_1662822412

Description Item # 00949860000P Model # KKU-1783
Take a Load off with the Craftsman Black Adjustable Hydraulic Seat $79.00

Give your dogs a rest and work at your bench on the Craftsman Black Hydraulic Stool. No workshop is without its fair share of messes. The tough vinyl padding is stain- and spill-resistant so your seat wipes clean easily and is always looking great. The adjustable, high-traction feet give you a stable base, while the foot rests provide added strength and a comfy place to rest your legs. A high-polish chrome finish helps to extend the life of your seat by resisting rust and corrosion. Don't let a busted stool keep you working in an uncomfortable position. Get the Craftsman Adjustable Hydraulic Seat and give your feet a rest while you work.

• The Craftsman Black Hydraulic Stool has a durable, vinyl-padded, adjustable backrest and seat for comfortable support
  • Seat back is adjustable from 9.6"to 11.2" for extra support
  • Hydraulic seat moves from 28.5" to 33" for adjustable comfort...

Attention California Residents:
California's Proposition 65 entitles California consumers to special warnings for products that contain, or will expose consumers to chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. We care about our customers' safety and hope that the information below helps with your buying decisions.

I also have a Seville stool from Sam's Club that is lower and I use it for Tig welding. It is also adjustable butI i removed the little back brace or back breaker as I like to call it,
Seville Classics UltraHD Cushioned Pneumatic Stool
by Seville Classics UltraHD | Item #: 582510 | Model #: 18294B |

0001764118294_A

Best Seller

• $ 59 98
  • Shipping
  • Enter ZIP Code for shipping options
Delivery estimates, taxes, and fees are based on ZIP Code. Club Pickup orders are based on your club’s current price and item availability on the day of payment.
About this item
  • Cushioned pneumatic work stool featuring a carbon fiber texture seat
  • Wheels included for versatile movement
  • Zinc plated legs and footrest
Roy

Last edited:
Additional info: I bought it at Costco.

I used to use a non-adjustable stool but my shop is very small. The section of my bench where I do my sit-down work is not too high. So I replaced the stool with one of the folding metal chairs that the National Guard armory was getting rid of. I happen to know that they cost $7.00 each, shipping included, in the early 1990s and were made in the USA. I use a piece of folded cardboard as a cushion so I'm not worried about it getting dirty. It folds to under three inches wide.

chair.jpeg

4ea36862a57fc2fb20d86dbea092dd4b.jpg

Honda Odyssey seat with 1K lb. lazy Susan and casters. It also reclines when you have the need to ponder.

717a8b4c3e0f30e3e8b29c41dfa50a30.jpg

My office.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back