Comfortable and useful shop stool - do they exist?

IMG_7998.jpg

Quote 79934, member: 43583"]Here's a photo of Richard's chair:

I have one of those that I use for an adjustable telescope viewing chair, it's a real back and knee saver when the old eyepiece gets closer to the ground.
I use an unpadded metal swivel stool with adjusts from almost a standing lever down to a knee high level. Although its unpaged my boney little old
butt has no trouble with it at all. Most of my shop benches and machinery are at standing height so I don't really need to sit very much.

I use an inexpensive upholstered office chair, a.k.a. "task chair", with the pneumatic lift and back support. It's been in my garage for over 20 years, and still going strong. I can't imagine sitting on a hard stool to work out there. A comfortable chair lets you focus on the detail work, not on your discomfort. :)

I use an old swivel bar stool for the lathe and the mill as both stands are on Lev - La feet and the hieght is perfect for me. Anything sitting on or near the floor I have an old formed plywood school chair with the legs cut down and castors fitted. very comftable.

I am fortunate that I now get to spend a lot of time in my shop. I keep a laptop on one of my worktables and have a stool there to sit on. The stool is fine for a few minutes but it sure isn't the gold standard! It puts my legs to sleep and after a bit, my butt hurts.

I have read some glowing reviews and reports on "tractor seat" stools and thought about giving one a try. Ordering stools is a shot in the dark at best and I have spent time on this search before.

Here is what I have but now wanting something better. Advice and experience would be appreciated.

View attachment 231519

Edit: here's the spot where I want a better stool.
View attachment 231527
The best stool I have ever seen come out of a
Train locomotive the drivers set it was for sale but more money than I was willing to pay for it .
It think it had a back on it .
And I think they wanted $200. For it .
I wish I had bought it now.

I am fortunate that I now get to spend a lot of time in my shop. I keep a laptop on one of my worktables and have a stool there to sit on. The stool is fine for a few minutes but it sure isn't the gold standard! It puts my legs to sleep and after a bit, my butt hurts.

I have read some glowing reviews and reports on "tractor seat" stools and thought about giving one a try. Ordering stools is a shot in the dark at best and I have spent time on this search before.

Here is what I have but now wanting something better. Advice and experience would be appreciated.

View attachment 231519

Edit: here's the spot where I want a better stool.
View attachment 231527

I found a nice drafting chair on wheels for $10 at a garbadj sale. Very comfy, and the foot rail gets used. Were I to buy new, I'd go for the extra padding of the deluxe model.
https://www.staples.com/Office-Star-Deluxe-Ergonomic-Drafting-Chair-Navy/product_803358

I have 2 craftsman high stools with backs and hydraulic lift. They are comfortable for me and the right height for my work bench.
Craftsman Black Adjustable Hydraulic Seat

prod_1662822412

Description Item # 00949860000P Model # KKU-1783
Take a Load off with the Craftsman Black Adjustable Hydraulic Seat $79.00

Roy

I have one of these in the shop. It's okay, I think the flat stool is a better choice for the shop. The real problem I have with mine is one of the adjustable pads is broken out. It has a flat tire. I need to make a steel one to take the place of the plastic one that broke out. Might as well make a full set and replace all of them while I'm at it.

Back