Common Methods of Measuring the Diameter of a Hole

Thanks Prof.

There are a lot of people around getting incorrect measurements because they don't know how to properly use a telescoping gauge. Hopefully this video will help.

Tom

Another method of measuring holes is with a set of Brown & Sharpe tapered parallels; they are used in pairs, each parallel is tapered, with one flat side and one semi circular side; an appropriate pair is selected for the size being measured and wedged into the hole, and the projecting portion is measured with a micrometer; this method has possibilities for significant accuracy, as it is not a transfer measurement that may be more subject to vaguries in feel, and there is one less step in feeling the measurment.

I have seen those before, but I don't think they are available anymore. Did they come small enough to measure a .500" hole? I guess you could make a set pretty easily with a set of adjustable parallels and a surface grinder. :thinking:

Tom

I have seen those before, but I don't think they are available anymore. Did they come small enough to measure a .500" hole? I guess you could make a set pretty easily with a set of adjustable parallels and a surface grinder. :thinking:

Tom

You are right, they are not available, but are frequently seen on e bay; I saw a set just this morning; their range is 1/4" - 1" Catalog number is #672

Back