Community Build Project Ideas.

What should the first Community Build Project be.

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
author=lwburnham link=topic=3498.msg26282#msg26282 date=1316305882
I just noticed after I voted (like a knucklehead) that I shouldn't have.

After re-reading the whole thing, it was stated, but not made very clear. So, other than raising my blood pressure for a while, no harm done. Next time, it may be done differently. Up to the people involved to make it happen in the way that works for everyone.

I'm gonna take a few minutes and read through the ENTIRE post and see if I can get the gist of what is going. So far I understand that a group of members are gonna meet up and build a project together.

Not get together, but parts made individually. One guy makes 8 pistons, keeps one, and mails the rest to the other guys. Same thing with another person and another part. Each guy makes only one part, then the other members make the rest of the parts. Eventually, everyone ends up with all the parts, but has had to make only one (although multiple copies). Each member gets an engine, and hopfully learned something along the way.

As far as me joining a build group, that would be pointless to the others involved. I am a complete amateur and have no idea what I'm doing. I've owned a lathe for 2 months and am still trying to learn all the terminology and such.

Not true! You can use a hacksaw and file, you can make some parts (like the axle mentioned above). The whole point is to work together to make something, and try to teach/learn while doing it. And, in the long run, maybe build some friendships along the way. The beauty is that all can participate, with only minimal experience, as long as they have the desire.

This project is intentionally kept very simple. That way, everyone can take part, not just the more experienced guys. Frankly, something as easy as this would probably be an afternoon for someone like Bogs, who has many years of machining experience. That it takes someone longer just to make one part doesn't matter as long as you eventually get the batch done and everyone gets the parts.

BTW, it took me nearly three hours to make the cylinder cover for the Poppin. It's just a disc with a chamfered hole in the center, and some holes around the edge. So, don't expect to whip out parts like a screw machine. Just keep at it, a step at a time, and eventually you get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
author=DaveH link=topic=3498.msg26298#msg26298 date=1316309673
I think the word draw is in poor taste

Touche! I think you're on the list now, buddy. -^^

BTW, the latest version of SW won't work on my home machine. Video card just isn't up to the task. Drawings will have to wait until Monday before I can get back to it.

Drawings for the simple engine will be finished (and posted) tomorrow. Format will be .pdf, but anyone wishing to have another format (.dxf, etc.) just ask.

I vote 1 for rleete not needing to do any machining as his time has been allocated to design and improvement and still come out with a (hopefully) working piece.

I've already volunteered to do the cylinders, as I have the material, and I need an excuse to go buy a set of reamers.

Really, it's not all that much work, it's just taking the time to do it. Had to work through a couple of lunches; some would say I can afford to skip a few meals! I do this for a living, so it's not like I had to learn anything.

fair call, fair call. I was just throwing it out there.

I need an excuse for a machine with a 12"+ swing on a lathe and yet another extension to the shed....... any parts require that? ha ha.

You're on your own, there. I can barely justify buying stock to the accounting department (my wife).

File has been uploaded. File name is in DL area under Machining & Metalworking Projects, and is called "Single Oscillator Simple Engine". Can a moderator approve? Anyone that finds any errors, ommissions or outright screwups please post so that they may be corrected. Not that I would ever make a mistake...

Fits are not specified except by listing "sliding fit", "press fit", etc. I wasn't sure if people would be using plain stock or drill rod for the pins, so this is going to have to be worked out amongst team members. Since most of them will tolerate being on the loose side, I figured to let it be open to discusion without scaring anyone with tight tolerances.

Back