• We want to encourage those of you who ENJOY our site and find it USEFUL to DONATE and UPGRADE your membership from active member to donating or premium membership. If you want to know the differences in membership benefits, please visit THIS PAGE:

https://www.hobby-machinist.com/premium/

Donating memberships start at just $10 per year. These memberships are in fact donations that help pay our costs, and keep our site running!
    Thank you for your donation, God Bless You
  • June Project of the Month (Click "x" at right to dismiss)
[4]

Compact 8 Change Wheel Set

[3]
[10] Like what you see?
Click here to donate to this forum and upgrade your account!

Peter Weaver

Iron
Registered Member
Hi

I don't know if anyone here uses the compact 8 for screw cutting, but it seems strange to me that the lathe I have doesn't have a 60T change wheel and the set of 8 change wheels doesn't come with a 60T wheel when the chart on the lathe shows that a 60T wheel is needed for every metric thread. I am only just starting to thread on the lathe rather than as and dies, so maybe I am just not understanding all this, is the 60T wheel not necessary for metric threads?

regards
Peter

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Hi Peter- I researched this when I was considering purchase of a Craftsman-branded Compact 8 here in the states. The lathe should have come with two 60 tooth gears as fitted when new, and I believe a 25, 30 and 40 tooth gears also. I was able to find a gear set sold by Blue Ridge tools but it did not include a 60 tooth. I think the 60 tooth gear could have been ordered years ago as an additional part when the lathes were still being made. Now I think Ebay would be your only source. You can cut some pitches without the 60 tooth gears- a limitation for sure though.
Mark S.

Peter Weaver

Iron
Registered Member
Hi Mark, thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think that everyone had sold there compact 8's. Mine was a 2nd. hand machine and certainly didn't have any 60T wheels it did come with 2 8oT wheels as well as the 80T plastic wheel, the set I have bought didn't have one either. I ordered a 60T yesterday so look forward to getting that. The diagram on the lathe shows that the 60T is needed for all metric pitches, if I have understood the diagram properly.

Thanks again.

regards
Peter

markba633csi

H-M Supporter - Premium Member
H-M Supporter-Premium Member
Peter I misspoke, the 80 tooth gears were supplied OEM and I think one 60 tooth. Any others would have to be purchased afterwards.
Mark S.

Peter Weaver

Iron
Registered Member
Peter I misspoke, the 80 tooth gears were supplied OEM and I think one 60 tooth. Any others would have to be purchased afterwards.
Mark S.
Thanks again Mark, I have now got my 60T so I'm up and running.

Peter

[6]
[5] [7]