Compact 8 Change Wheel Set

Peter Weaver

Registered
Registered
Hi

I don't know if anyone here uses the compact 8 for screw cutting, but it seems strange to me that the lathe I have doesn't have a 60T change wheel and the set of 8 change wheels doesn't come with a 60T wheel when the chart on the lathe shows that a 60T wheel is needed for every metric thread. I am only just starting to thread on the lathe rather than as and dies, so maybe I am just not understanding all this, is the 60T wheel not necessary for metric threads?

regards
Peter

Hi Peter- I researched this when I was considering purchase of a Craftsman-branded Compact 8 here in the states. The lathe should have come with two 60 tooth gears as fitted when new, and I believe a 25, 30 and 40 tooth gears also. I was able to find a gear set sold by Blue Ridge tools but it did not include a 60 tooth. I think the 60 tooth gear could have been ordered years ago as an additional part when the lathes were still being made. Now I think Ebay would be your only source. You can cut some pitches without the 60 tooth gears- a limitation for sure though.
Mark S.

Hi Mark, thanks for the reply, I was beginning to think that everyone had sold there compact 8's. Mine was a 2nd. hand machine and certainly didn't have any 60T wheels it did come with 2 8oT wheels as well as the 80T plastic wheel, the set I have bought didn't have one either. I ordered a 60T yesterday so look forward to getting that. The diagram on the lathe shows that the 60T is needed for all metric pitches, if I have understood the diagram properly.

Thanks again.

regards
Peter

Peter I misspoke, the 80 tooth gears were supplied OEM and I think one 60 tooth. Any others would have to be purchased afterwards.
Mark S.

Back