Compact bender ?

It's always a huge mental struggle for me to figure out how to set up a particular bend. Do you guys just walk up and presto, there's your piece?

The good part is it's really easy to make custom dies.
Mine came with a very good manual, without which I'd have trouble with some of the setups. I still reference it routinely - there's always a relevant example. YouTube is probably the best source of info if you don't have a good manual.

GsT

Without a convenient tube to bend (and maybe even then) it'll be hard to grokk from pictures. Essentially the yellow handled part starts at the back (perhaps you can see the small notches. It trades range of motion for leverage. So a full-stroke on the 'arm' moves the bending part (up by the die) only about 60*, but with tremendous leverage. Then you advance the yellow handled doo-dad to the next notch and you can continue bending another 60*, and so forth. The next best thing to hydraulics for heavy bending.

GsT
ok, in just studying it more closely I see how it works now. So that multiplier can be swapped out when not needed? That's really an interesting piece I've never seen on one of those. It looks like it would be something I could fab if needed. I guess the big question is whether the original chineseium frame can take the added stress......

It's always a huge mental struggle for me to figure out how to set up a particular bend. Do you guys just walk up and presto, there's your piece?

The good part is it's really easy to make custom dies.
I could see that with the totally modular nature of this. It's a little like to me when I decide to grind an endmill on my Checkel. I have to have a really clear pic in my mind what I'm trying to do then superimpose it on the machine. The more you do it, the better/quicker I'm sure. But I don't do anything all day every day. So it's all pull the machine out, stare at it, mess with it, finally get the project done and put it away not to be touched again for months. Looking fwd to doing a swan dive into this rabbit hole.

Mine came with a very good manual, without which I'd have trouble with some of the setups. I still reference it routinely - there's always a relevant example. YouTube is probably the best source of info if you don't have a good manual.

GsT
do you think that manual is posted anywhere?

do you think that manual is posted anywhere?
I haven't seen it. I did see that Shop Outfitters offers the manual for their newer (hydraulic) machine, which probably - probably - uses the same setups. If you contact them they might have some of the older manuals, but I don't see them listed anywhere.

GsT

They have a machine they call ORB(ornamental roller bender) that looks manual but not sure it’s the same thing. The manual is $50, is it the same one you have?

1684865193509.png

They have a machine they call ORB(ornamental roller bender) that looks manual but not sure it’s the same thing. The manual is $50, is it the same one you have?
No. My manual is for the less-fancy 'compact bender' that they no longer sell. I suspect setups are similar, but the radial stop plate on that one is different than the compact bender (which may be only a minor difference in terms of setup).
GsT

At one time Eastwood had a Compact Bender manual that was downloadable.
The Shopoutfitter manual is really good and seems to apply to the compact bender even though theirs looks to be better made.

I don't use mine a lot, and not enough to just walk up and use it for most things. It takes some thinkin' and planin'. I've often screwed myself by bending in the wrong sequence. And I can make the shape I want, but getting the size I want is a whole other story. That's more a me problem than a tool issue though.

Thanks to mickri/Chuck the compact bender was delivered to my place yesterday. There were the usual odds and ends like it had an extra die and the clevis pin for the arm was missing. I had a 3/8” clevis so I turned it down 1/4” and am good to go. I also mounted a couple of clips on the main post to hold the arm until use.

The next step is to put 4 3/8” drop in inserts in the middle of the floor of the shop to tie it down when in use. Then unbolt it, screw in some set screws to keep the dirt out and stand it in a corner until needed. I’ve not used drop ins before and of course there are a ton different styles online and most want to sell them in boxes of 50:( I just need 4. Is there some style of drop in that is better for this use? I was attracted to the double expanding type, but don’t know which type would be the best for this application. Most likely I’ll just have to go with whatever the local hardware has in a small blister pack.

Attachments

• IMG_0527.jpeg
    IMG_0527.jpeg
    276.6 KB · Views: 12
I used the kind of anchors that you have to set with a punch.

Back