Complete Revamp Underway

It really isn't that hard to keep a shop or work space clean if when the job your doing is complete just clean up after yourself right away. This is how I keep up to my messes when doing something in the shop and has always worked out just don't leave the miss for the next day or so because than it will not get done. Before you know it you've done a bunch of projects and the miss keeps getting bigger and bigger.
Good luck with the clean up and remember how hard and the time it took to clean it up after your next project is done. !!!

I'm usually pretty good about not letting things slide out of control but, a couple years ago, I went back to work (office job) full time. I was also keeping-up with the odd-jobs and over-flow work from the local marina. I'm not planning to let this happen again. Also, my son moved back for a while and his apartment furnishings were stored in my garage last winter -and that put the nail in the coffin. Every last bit of walking space I had was occupied with his boxes. The real issue is that I was doing a lot in too small of a space without enough shelves and proper storage cabinets/drawers.

Here are some pics as of early yesterday morning. I spent 8 hours later on organizing even more, throwing-out even more and building some divider/shelves that will go in the table island shelf unit. You can see between the lathe and mill where one of the new toolboxes will go. I'm planning to do more cleanup on all the shelves and also get proper small compartment cabinets for all the fasteners and small parts.

IMG_20180421_175616.jpgIMG_20180421_175639.jpgIMG_20180421_175650.jpgIMG_20180421_175716.jpgIMG_20180421_175744.jpgIMG_20180421_175803.jpg

I only get half of it. It finally arrived special order to the local Home Depot. Got this and the top box. Everything in good shape. The wife like the top box so, it's up in her woman-cave. She was eyeing this but, a guy's got to draw the line somewhere!

IMG_20180424_195308[1].jpg

Helping the economy of my neighbors north of me. Thanks Guys... Nice toolbox.

IMG_20180424_195320[1].jpg

Ray

Woo-hoo... It was on back-order for a while but it showed-up today. It's nice and wide too.
IMG_20180427_173418[1].jpg IMG_20180427_173443[1].jpg

Will start moving things into the top-box tomorrow. The bottom cabinet is filling-up but still nice and neat. Those plastic trays are great.
IMG_20180427_210840[1].jpg IMG_20180427_210852[1].jpg

Ray

I see you bought new tool boxes. Think I might be doing that also. I was thinking CL for metal cabinets.

I got an old Craftsman top and bottom box off craigslist for $40.00. I had to clean them out though. They were full of Craftsman wrenches and sockets. I got the small Craftsman box on top of them from a yard sale for $5.00.
tool boxes.jpg

I got an old Craftsman top and bottom box off craigslist for $40.00. I had to clean them out though. They were full of Craftsman wrenches and sockets. I got the small Craftsman box on top of them from a yard sale for $5.00.
View attachment 266279

I'm trying to figure-out the vintage of those Craftsman boxes. The pull-handles look more recent but the lift handles look older. My Dad had a Craftsman box in the basement from the late 50's or early 60's. Man, that thing was built like a tank.

Ray

What kind of boxes are those Ray?
I see there are some Clarke tool chests coming up at an auction here, no anything about those?

What kind of boxes are those Ray?
I see there are some Clarke tool chests coming up at an auction here, no anything about those?

The blue box set (available in red, blue and black) are "International" brand, made in Canada. I would classify them about the same as the similar sized red top & bottom box that Harbor Freight used to carry but, has now canceled and replaced with a different configuration. These have ball-bearing drawers and are about 1/2 filled and seem to be holding-up just fine.

Not familiar with Clarke tool chests... I did a net search and got some hits but there's a lot of different models in varying quality ranges.

Ray

Made in Canada? Quality must be quite good.

Made in Canada? Quality must be quite good.

They're good boxes but not ultra-heavy duty. They're about the same duty rating as the medium grade that HF sells. The fit and finish was fine. All things considered, I'd rather send my money to our buds north of us.

Ray

Back