Complex shapes on lathe

Telzey

Registered
Registered
Thanks for accepting me as a member. New to metal working, acquired a small craftsman metal working lathe (great price). How to do complex shapes on lathe (outside curves, etc)?

Do you have a profile or shape in mind? For a confined section with simple to complex shapes a dedicated form tool will make the profile in a single plunge. Beware that this takes a lot of torque and invites chatter. For single curve of mid to large size curves you can use a ball turner. For large complex curves you can do it in steps numaricaly then file/sand the profile to blend the edges. If you have significant upfront capital then a hydralic duplicator or a cnc lathe is the way to go.

Wanted to do a speed knob for my feed screw, 2 outside curves, inside curve joining.

Something like this?

Set the compound several times to make a set of joining tappers then file and send the shape round.

Can I hand file at lathes slowest speed?
Depending on the diameter of the workpiece, I'll usually file somewhere between 190 - 400 RPM. Just whatever you're comfortable with. If working close to the chuck I'd go on the slower side. And it's worth standing to one side - in the event of the file grabbing it's nice to know you're not in the firing line.

Use the file in your left hand even if you are right handed because it keeps your entire body in front of the chuck.
Short sleeves are the dress of the day when using a file in lathe work!
Words from an old 1930 era English Toolmaker that saved me a lot of skinned knuckles in my lifetime!!

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

This is definitely the place to ask questions and learn, post some pictures up of your new lathe too....

This might be a little advanced for a newbie but you might as well know it can be done the same way it's done on a wood lathe.

Cheers,

John

Can I hand file at lathes slowest speed?

For one off parts that don't need to be exact shapes you can do a lot of shaping with a file. A couple things to watch out for is the spinning chuck, you don't want to whack a knuckle or catch the end of the file. Hold the file so that if it does catch the chuck or gets too good a bite into the work it won't pull your hand into the work or stab you with the file.

Emery cloth or strips of sand paper are also handy for polishing, short pieces held between finger and thumb, again so that if it binds the cloth just harmlessly pulls out of your fingers instead of pulling you in. never wrap it around a finger or hand.

Always assume the lathe wants to bite you and you should be ok. :grin:

Do you have one of the 6" Atlas / Craftsman lathes?

If you want to do a lot of curves you might want to get, or make a radius turning attachment.

Back