Complex shapes on lathe

The classical way of making curves is to use forming tools. These are lathe bits ground with profiles for the form you are cutting. Of course, making a ball turner is one of the first projects a new lathe owner should attempt. It's a very useful tool.

If it doesn't have to match anything exact, I've made many knobs just free handing them. Use a pointed cutter with a small radius and rough it out, then make the final cuts using good ole hand/eye coordination...like an Etch-a Sketch. Finish it up with a file, or if you can, chuck it up in a hand drill and make the blends with a belt sander/buffer.

Another good safety measure for using files on the lathe is to put wood handles on your files. If the file does get whacked by one of the chuck jaws, at least it won't jab the tang on the file into your arm.

Ted

The classical way of making curves is to use forming tools. These are lathe bits ground with profiles for the form you are cutting. Of course, making a ball turner is one of the first projects a new lathe owner should attempt. It's a very useful tool.
I thought using file without handle in ANY situation is a bad idea ;)
I heard about special "lathe files" - but information what exactly it means is a bit contradictory- some sources claim "lathe files" have teeth cut in reverse, they work on pull instead of push, another source claims that tooth "lines" are cut at much shallower angle (example https://www.wonkeedonkeetools.co.uk/files/what-is-a-long-angle-lathe-file/ )

Gregor

I heard about special "lathe files" - but information what exactly it means is a bit contradictory- some sources claim "lathe files" have teeth cut in reverse, they work on pull instead of push, another source claims that tooth "lines" are cut at much shallower angle.

Lathe files are also called Long Angle Lathe Files and are characterized by a longer tooth angle with a single cut pattern and safe edges. This longer angle allows them to cut with greater control under power, which essentially means they cut without catching as much as a regular file would. They tend to cut very smoothly and I use them on occasion.

@Telzey, gravers would be ideal for your needs but you need to come up with a tool rest. The gravers themselves are simple to make and use and will cut almost any shape you need, including knobs. Unlike most ball turners that require you to attach the ball you make to a handle with threads or screw stock, you can cut the handle and knob from a single piece of stock with a graver and get as simple or fancy as you wish. If you do opt to try them, start a thread on it and I'll give you what pointers I can.

Here are a few ideas.
Sorry I have just been informed that it was empty. Here's what should have been in there.

Attachments

• 2917-Turning Spherical Radii.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 19
  • 2918-Simple Form Turning.pdf
    41.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2919-Constructing Sliding Tools.pdf
    43.3 KB · Views: 6
  • 3095-Machined Domed & Hollow Surfaces.pdf
    34 KB · Views: 6
  • 3237-FreeHand.pdf
    31.6 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Tom Lipton's method of following a template is pretty interesting, does require a lot of coordination though!
(starts at about the 17 minute mark)

Back