Compound dial question

Investigator

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
New issue..... When trying to turn and set the scale on the compound dial to zero, it seems the dial will not move. I have released the set screw, in fact I took it all the way out. I can find only one set screw in the dial. The dial still is 'stuck' to the handle. In other words, it will not turn freely on the handle.

I have looked and thought and thought. I am 'pretty sure' that it is just stuck from dried sludge and gunk. However, I wanted to make sure I haven't missed anything before I start using more than just my hands to try to free it up.

Suggestions?

screenshot lathe.png

It appears from this parts diagram that the outer dial is attached by 2 screws to the 'hub', and the cross feed dial (which I can't get to move) is held firm by one set screw.

My thought is to remove the 2 screws holding the handwheel on, and try to take the crossfeed dial off and clean everything.

It's not unusual for dials to get "stuck" from non-use. You're on the right track though, just take it apart and clean it. This happens a lot when people put DRO's on machines. Then the dials are virtually forgotten.

To aid in getting it apart, try applying liberal amounts of WD40 or another type of penetrant or parts cleaner.

For what it's worth, I don't even zero my dials anymore, I just work in relative measurements. Your plan looks good though.

For what it's worth, I don't even zero my dials anymore, I just work in relative measurements. Your plan looks good though.

I have considered that. I realize though that I don't have enough experience to do it yet. Training wheels first.......

That seems an awful lot like you're implying I might have a vague idea of what I'm doing. I reject that notion! I actually didn't know you could zero the dials when I started, then I learned you could, but sometimes forgot to, so I said that's too complicated and just went back to ignoring the fact that they can be zeroed.

Be careful when you take the handle hub off, the ball bearings will fall out. Unless the old gunk holds onto them.

Blaster.. better than WD40

Agreed, for me PB Blaster is like the franks red hot commercial: "I put that $h!t on everything!"

WD40 has been relegated to quick and dirty rust prevention.

Back