Compound miter saw

Aaron_W

H-M Supporter - Sustaining Member
H-M Platinum Supporter
It isn't a bandsaw, but it is sort of a horizontal saw. About a year ago I picked up a little Ryobi 7-1/4" compound miter saw along with a Diablo non-ferrous metal and plastics blade. At the time I didn't have the space for even a 4x6" bandsaw and was almost exclusively working with aluminum.

The saw runs about $90 and the blade around $30, so it is a fairly inexpensive option. It cuts aluminum and brass like wood, and leaves a nice clean finish.

Chop saw1.jpg

Since I was cutting some brass today, I took a few pictures. This is a piece of 3/4" brass hex stock I just cut.

Chop saw 2.jpg

Aaron I was once told that any cutting tool that can cut good hardwood can be used on aluminum. I have used router bits in my Taig mill and it does a pretty good job for shaping edges with WD40 for lub, what kind of lub are you using with brass. Dave

Aaron I was once told that any cutting tool that can cut good hardwood can be used on aluminum. I have used router bits in my Taig mill and it does a pretty good job for shaping edges with WD40 for lub, what kind of lub are you using with brass. Dave
Brass generally does not need any lube.

I have some Nikx-Stikx I apply to the blade from time to time which is supposed to help prevent the aluminum from adhering to the blade, but other than that cut dry.

It also doesn't make the awful racket that cutting aluminum sheet on a table saw does.

Back