Compound Rest

conibear

Registered
Registered
I have a 9 in. Standard Modern and I am thinking of mounting a slitting saw on the compound rest, similar to the one on the front cover of Machinist's Workshop mag. Jan.2018. My question is this, in your opinion just how weight can the compound rest safely carry.

very cool idea!

as far as how much it should weigh, ideally you'd want to be as light as possible.
but if you had a unit that was around 20 lbs, i don't think there would be major issues.
my dumore toolpost grinder weighs in somewhere near 20 lbs and it was made to be installed and used in the slot in the compound

Every lathe will do so, if it lives through heavy cuts during plain OD turning it will live through live tooling which will likely be less rigorous. if you were to spend a good deal of money on a powerful live tooling spindle with more power then the lathe spindle itself this may pose a problem.

Is that what you want it for “ parting “ ?.

I will be using it for parting but mostly for cutting fins in Engine cyl. Iv broken a couple of parting tools and damaged some cyl. in the past. When looking at that pic. ( Thanks for putting that up Brino ) there seems to be a lot of weight hanging off the back end of the compound rest. I have a small motor and gearbox I was thinking of using 1/6 hp and 340 rpm to start with, witch I will weigh when later. Tks guys Dave

If it isn't too much trouble, you could remove the compound and mount the saw directly to the cross slide. (I'm assuming
all your cuts are 90 deg. to the work of course.)

As Wreck said the forces exerted on the compound when taking a heavy cut would be far more than the weight of your live tooling.

Greg

Back