Compound Slide Angle

uploadfromtaptalk1470106192920.jpg

Okay so here is the wife's drawing and we need clarification on this please. I have been doing this for many years and have never had an issue with it not equaling what I have needed it to.

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

Well hell she just educated me and now I understand. Y'all are right and I guess that is why I have always had a bit of trouble with taking off a small cut.

Goofy special triangles.

OK, Kevin, I cancelled the post I started...

Pythagorean theory. My dad taught me this when I was a young boy. I apologize in advance that it is not politically correct, but it is useful in situations like this:

There were three indian squaws. One laid on a deer hide, and gave birth to a son. The second laid on a elk hide, and also gave birth to a son. The third laid on a hippopotamus hide, and gave birth to twin sons. This proves the age old theorem that the squaw of the hippopotamus is equal to the sons of the squaws of the other two hides.

Show that to your wife and see what it does for her... 8^)

Way too funny Bob! Not too big on being politically correct myself so it's all good. By the way I had the definition of "political correctness" explained to me as such.......it is the thought that it is totally plausible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Showed to wife and she laughed. She had never heard of it before but did like it though. Of course she can never use that one in class though. She did remark that "it would have been funnier had the hides all been squared"

Thank you for educating me and helping me learn something new. This is exactly the reason I joined this group and look forward to learning more. I have mostly taught myself what I do know and I know some of that is not the way it is supposed to be done though.

Kevin

Well hell she just educated me and now I understand. Y'all are right and I guess that is why I have always had a bit of trouble with taking off a small cut.

Goofy special triangles.

Small cuts are always a pain. I try to avoid them whenever possible...

Way too funny Bob! Not too big on being politically correct myself so it's all good. By the way I had the definition of "political correctness" explained to me as such.......it is the thought that it is totally plausible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Showed to wife and she laughed. She had never heard of it before but did like it though. Of course she can never use that one in class though. She did remark that "it would have been funnier had the hides all been squared"

Thank you for educating me and helping me learn something new. This is exactly the reason I joined this group and look forward to learning more. I have mostly taught myself what I do know and I know some of that is not the way it is supposed to be done though.

Kevin

Too funny about the turd! And yes, she is right about the square hides. We have just improved my dad's story...

My compounds stay at 45° 90% of the time. I thread straight in, but I like having the ability to cut 45° chamfers and break edges with cutting tools rather than files. Works OD and ID. There are some parts that require a 20° bevel angle for leading a seal into a bore, or transition angles between two different OD sizes, but I don't do too many of those any more. And that angle may or may not be 20°....could be anything, so no point in setting it to anything specific except the 45° for me.

BTW, I don't believe I have ever seen a compound dial graduated in radii, so bear that in mind when using it at an angle to give finer control over DoC. I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've been around a lot of lathes and never seen one built that way. Maybe some of the smaller, newer imports, but it would be new to me.

My default is 23.2 degrees from the axis of the work. It's an old lathe with imperial dials, but I tend to work and measure in metric.
At that angle 10 thou on the compound dial (0.01" or 0.254mm) moves the tool 0.1 mm perpendicular the work (i.e an extra 0.1 mm off the radius). Makes measuring in metric and then just dialing what extra to take off easier (plus a bit finer control).

Last edited:
That's an excellent application of the trig functions using your compound. Great thinking.

Yeah, its the sine function, the sine of 30º is .5, or 1/2.

Back