Compound slide not good.

Yes, I know how to measure dovetails, but I do not have any roller pins. No, I don't have a Machinery's Handbook.
When you get a chance, pick up a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Just checked eBay, some under $20. Well worth that. A treasure of knowledge. Get an older one. Mine, a 19th edition, was published in 1964. Anything between the 40's and 60's should serve you well.

good, you'll need them as a starting point. from machinery's handbook 18th edition
20210920_131251.jpg

There is an old member who is retired and lives in San Antonio who I bet would love to help you. His dad used to build new lathes and I believe he still has a machine shop. I also taught a scraping class at Cox Manufacturing in San Antonio. I taught them to scrape screw machine cross-slides.

If anyone wants to learn how to scrape a compound, let me know. It's easy once you have the right tools and teacher. Janderson can. He had a couple of good teachers :)

yea, somebodies a little testy... maybe he needs a time out... ;)
I simply do not like having to repeat myself. It means the other person has not read what I wrote, which far too often means they just have not bothered to read what I wrote. I hate that. Everyone makes mistakes, me more than most, and I am very tolerant of human error. I am not tolerant of laziness, however. I am not accusing anyone in particular of anything, but I make my best effort to be certain of what other people take the time to write, and I expect the same consideration. I also take great pains to write accurately and succinctly. Whenever I find myself repeating something I have already clearly stated, I am not happy, no. I do not think that requires a time out.

When you get a chance, pick up a copy of Machinery's Handbook. Just checked eBay, some under $20. Well worth that. A treasure of knowledge. Get an older one. Mine, a 19th edition, was published in 1964. Anything between the 40's and 60's should serve you well.
I intend to do just that. I did not know they could be had for $20. Of course, gently used is perfectly fine. They should sell electronic copies. For one thing, one can't get oil all over a digital copy, and I won't have to search all over the shop to find where I last had it. The best thing, however, is the ability to search digitally.

After cleaning up the gib by hand, the slide is far, far better. It still gets very tight near the far end of the travel, but now doesn't sieze entirely. I am also now able to remove much of the slop at the near end of the slide. It still exhibits a 0.003" movement at the edge of the tool post, but that is a small fraction of what it was. I still cannot call it good, but for many purposes it is good enough. Single point threading, for example, only requires typically less than 0.100" of travel on the compound, and I can work near the far end of its travel to provide enough rigidity. It s good enough for a cosmetic taper. Forget about trying to re-create an R8, JT, or MT taper on a tool, though.

They should sell electronic copies. For one thing, one can't get oil all over a digital copy, and I won't have to search all over the shop to find where I last had it. The best thing, however, is the ability to search digitally.
I believe that a digital copy is available for sale. But of course at publisher new prices..

Back