Compound slide not good.

I sell the new Connelly Books on eBay. I will give our members a 15 % discount. Also I would help in scraping the dovetails, but I won't get involved with the childish argument. Private message me or start a new thread. Asking a question on a open forum can be frustrating to a new member. You have to be able to overlook advice from someone who guesses.

Come over to the Machine reconditioning forum as many of us have gotten paid to measure and rebuild dovetail ways.

Here you go 28th edition.
Machinery's Handbook Guide - 28th Edition (Malestrom)
Malestrom

I just tried this test on my cross slide ways. You don't need special pins if your cross slide has 20 thousandths of slop in it. Even a pair of pins that you make yourself in the lathe should be accurate enough, especially if you have a sharpie available. I was able to measure about 4 thousandths of wear. I think you don't have to wait for your pin order to arrive. There may be supply chain problems anyway. For 20 thousandths, a couple of pencils would probably work.

There is an easy way that many overlook. Set the slides on a Mill , clamp down lightly or surface grinder mag down slightly and indicate it in on there. Most mills and grinders are straight in 12"

Eric please be nice, we are trying to help. Pencils won't work and if it moved .020" I suspect the gib was loose.

Sorry, Richard. But I was trying to be helpful. I was thinking of those round giveaway pencils that you get at the county or library events. I just measured one, and it was out of round by nearly 8 thou. Still, if you put a dot with a sharpie on two pencil stubs and make sure they are clocked to the same place and you apply the calipers right on the dots, you should be good to within a few thou until the real dowel pins arrive.

You can buy hardened dowel pins at a hardware store. I won't help if your going to use a pencil. This is precision rebuilding forum.

I'm not sure the OP ever came back. There was a miscommunication it seemed... or a misinterpretation? Either way, I don't believe we've seen him since. The person suggesting pencils isn't the one asking the original question.

Back